Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Favorite Notecards

After mentioning how I love to recycle magazines, some great questions were asked. So, here is everything you wanted to know about these notecards!

This is one of my all time favorite craft projects to do! An hour or two spent making cards and envelopes is really fun for me. I know that several of you have started making these too - so fun!

I start with plain 8.5" x 11" cardstock. I really like this brand from Michael's. They have a package of 50 sheets (which makes 100 cards) on sale periodically for $1.99 making it very inexpensive to make these cards! I have never tried the pre-cut paper, but my sister loves it - so whatever works best for you!

I slice the paper in half on a paper trimmer. Then, I fold each half in half again which makes your blank cards. Simply choose any photo you want to put on the front and attach with double-stick tape. I used to love using glue sticks - but have found the results with double-stick tape to be much better. Even though the tape is more expensive, I think it is worth it!

To make the envelope, select one full page photo from a magazine. Either take apart an envelope you already have that is the right size or print this template. Use template as a pattern and cut out the envelope. Fold side edges in first, then fold bottom flap up. Attach with double-stick tape. Fold top flap down - done!

To mail, tape back closed and use a label on the front for addressing. I love giving a stack of these for a gift, and you can see more of that in the related links below.

There is a step-by-step photo tutorial that I did a year ago, the links are below listed as Steps 1-4.

Enjoy!

Here are some previous posts about this very topic:
Homespun Wrapping
Gifts for Nursery Volunteers
Step One
Step Two
Step Three
Step Four
Christmas Cards

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cut out some picture with good intentions a while back. Thanks for the inspiration to complete this project. I just love the envelopes. So cute!

*carrie* said...

Mo,

Wahoo! I'll be making cards today to send the winner of my little drawing.

love you, me

Anonymous said...

Monica,

I just love your style, your friendliness, and your money saving tips. I am so glad to have found your blog. It's like being your neighbor. :) I love the note cards you posted today and will be sharing the idea with my mother.

Thank you and may the Lord bless you.

~Andrea

Anonymous said...

I make all of my cards in my spare time. (I'm orginally a scrapper and found that cardmaking is more enjoyable!) I love the ideas of these though; I've never thought to use photos from magazines.

Leah said...

I'm curious to know where you get your magazines from? The only ones I get are cooking magazines, and I would not want to cut those up. I wonder how long libraries keep magazines. Forever? I think I'll call to check! AND another reason to check out garage sales! I'm going to watch your step-by-step instructions now. Happy Thursday, Monica!

Monica Wilkinson said...

My favorite magazines to use are Country Home, Country Living and Martha Stewart Living. Often you can get past issues of magazines free at the library or try asking around - lots of people have stacks of magazines around that they don't know what to do with!

Cherish the Home said...

What a fantastic idea! Thank you!! (o:

Anonymous said...

So simple and yet so wonderful! I like the idea of making a stack for gift giving too. I cut out pictures the other day and we are in for a wet weekend - perfect project for me. Thank you so very much. You are so kind to share. Lynn Marie

Shawna said...

Monica, I found my way over here from Joy's, and I am glad I did! I have had the best time looking around at your craft ideas and am itching to get crafting! I can't wait to spend more time looking around when I can. Great job on your blog. It is lovely!

Amy said...

I love doing this and really like the index in Real Simple and Martha because they contain the perfect small pictures for a little gift tag.

I keep a manila folder of cards and pictures so that I always have something to work with.

Great tutorial!

Halfmoon Girl said...

Love those cards. I am crafty at heart ( the good crafty), but don't actually get around to doing many projects. This one I could do as I don't really sew or quilt. I enjoyed your post on gentleness.

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

I love your homemade cards!! I've been making them since you sent me one a year ago!!
Blessings!

Amberly said...

Very creative idea! Thanks for emailing me about Joy's blog shower. I enjoyed visiting your blog - it's lovely!

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

I just found your site and LOVE it!! Your ideas are fantastic and I made these cards tonight. I think I'm addicted.

Timalee said...

I just love these, they are so fast and simple! I am making my first set right now and when I get my pic up I would like to link back to this post of yours if that is ok?

Anonymous said...

If you ever have a page you love and would like to make many cards of that same page, do you color copy it? I am trying this to make sets of cards to send to different people.
Your blog is one of my favorites! Thanks!

Monica Wilkinson said...

SchoolinRHome:

Hi!

I've never color copied any of the pages - but have just used ones that coordinate with the colors in the main picture I wanted to use.

I think that a copy would fold and look differently than the slick magazine paper that the original would be? And, I am wondering about copyrights? Of course, if you are not selling - perhaps it is ok?

Hope you have fun with your notecards!

Monica