Monday, December 11, 2006

Homespun Wrapping

This has turned into my signature gift wrap and I love it because I am not trying to store a bunch of rolls of wrapping paper and figuring out what goes with what. Instead, I start with two great basics (that are cheap, need I mention?) and then get creative from there.

These basics are brown paper (Walgreens often has this on sale for buy-one-get-one free or 99 cents a roll) and brown twine (available at the Dollar Store, Big-Lots or Wal-Mart).

I like to decorate mine with a magazine photo (I know, you are so surprised to hear this!) and a cute tag. I either tie on the tag or use a mini clothespin (available at craft stores or sometimes the Dollar Store). The rusty tin snowflakes were a great find on the after-Christmas-clearance last year. I love their primitive look!

You can adapt this to anyone by simply choosing a photo that reflects them or an interest of theirs. Catalogs and magazines provide lots of options for pictures to be clipped! You could also use photos of your family or cut up Christmas cards that you've received to make the pictures or tags.

One thing I've learned: regular Scotch tape will not cut it at holding this paper together. You have to use packing tape - I like the Scotch clear packing tape that Walgreens puts on sale every so often.

This bag is a simple brown kraft paper gift bag. I gathered a few sprigs of evergreen and tied with torn fabric. You simply staple one branch of the greens to the bag and voila!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What darling ideas! They're beautiful. I think I'm going to make it my signature wrap, too. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Monica, those are *so* adorable!!!!!!!! You seriously need to write a book with all of your great ideas.

Susan P. said...

"Brown paper packages tied up with string," make the best gifts!!! I won't finish the song! LOL Wonderful idea:)

Monica Wilkinson said...

Goodness sakes, you all know how to brighten my day! Thank you for your sweet encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I do like how "packagy" that looks.

I saw some packages in a store window that I liked, all clothes boxes obviously, and each box was wrapped separately, but all tied together with one big ribbon. That looked so inviting to open. I'll bet that would look so incredible with just simple, brown paper like what you have.

here from tessa

Mary Ann said...

Great post! Your packages look so cute and homespun! I love stamping my own gift wrap and making my own tags, but lately I've focused on using up the Christmas wrap that I already have. My sweet mother-in-law has given me Christmas gift wrap for 2 years now, complete with gift bags, gift wrap, gift boxes and tags. I feel so unimaginative and not-so-creative as I've always created my own mostly, but it would be pointless to buy other stuff to use when I have all this other stuff to use up!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Yes, Mary Ann - you are wise to use up what you have. I also have gift bags that we sometimes receive gifts in and I sprinkle those in or use those to give away to non-family members. Using your resources is good stewardship. Keep it up! :)

Anonymous said...

Mary Ann, I'm in the same boat in using up what I already have!

Monica, I want to know how you keep all your magazine photos organized. Do you simply pull from a big stack of magazines? Or, as you read them, do you clip and save choice photos?

Monica Wilkinson said...

Meredith - I do both things you mentioned. I have a spot in my craft cabinet that is just for storing magazines. When that is full though, I either have to get rid of some or start clipping! But, sometimes I do just read and clip at the same time depending on how much time I have. I often cut out the envelopes and just store them ready to fold. And, I keep a ziploc bag (actually two) filled with clippings. All that said, I have been contemplating some sort of "filing" system so I don't have to dig for the certain kind of photos - like Christmas, child, nature, etc...
Monica