Friday, August 10, 2007

Crocheted Dishcloths

Here is another project I've been working on lately - I told you I had the crafting bug! I decided I wanted to do a project out of Mary Jane's book and after looking through, I decided this was the one!

Following her instructions, this would be about a 4" square dish cloth - so, I ripped lots of it out and added more width and lots more rows.

First, select your yarn (she says it should be 100% cotton). Look at these delicious colors and combinations I found at Michael's! They are called Sugar 'n Cream and were $1.49 a skein. I am estimating at this point that I should be able to get three dishcloths out of two skeins making them $1 each. A far cry from my current favorite dishcloth - a treat from my Mom!

To make:
* Chain 33 (or desired size), skip the last one and do a single crochet in each of the others creating a total of 32 single crochets. I used a size "J" hook.
* At the end of the row, chain one and skip that stitch repeating the single crochets in each of the stitches on the previous row.
* Repeat until it is the desired size. Tie off and weave ends into stitches.

I have enjoyed making these so much. This ranks right up there with canning as far as a wholesome activity that contributes to my home. I felt like Ma Ingalls. Yes, these still turned out considerably smaller than the dishcloths I usually use. But, I got to thinking - why does it need to be so big? How much of the dishcloth do I actually use at once?!

One of my favorite things about this project (and any crocheting project I have done) is that the crochet hook I use was my Granny's (my great-grandmother) and I love that it is from a previous generation still getting enjoyment and use. I wonder what she made with it?

I think these will make such fun stocking stuffers and will be a great inclusion into the nursery workers goodie basket! Here are two wrapped up and ready to go complete with tie-ons!

22 comments:

Wendi said...

You do have the crafting bug!! Someone will be very happy to receive this as a gift.

Mary Ann said...

I used to make these when I was in elementary school. They turned out really weird shaped and all but my mom used every one I turned out! Your post makes me want to start making some of these again.:-)It would be a great take-along project,too.

Dove said...

What a great idea! I love to crochet and was trying to think up a good project to teach my daughters on when they're a bit older. These will be perfect! Just one stitch to learn and practice, small enough, and still very useful even if they turn out a little funny-looking (like Mary Ann said!). Now I can't wait till they're old enough to learn! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

These are also great as trivets on a table for hot things. Bright and cheery.

Kimberlee said...

Those would make a precious baby gift too. Are they soft enough to be a baby washcloth??? I love to crochet and this is a great idea! Thanks Monica!

Anonymous said...

A dear friend of mine has made me a couple of these every year or so. I LOVE them. Hers look a little different (wider stitches?). But she uses fabulous colors, too. I've been pondering whether I could learn how to make some myself. I didn't have very much patience when I tried knitting several years ago, tho.

Anonymous said...

These are what I have been busy making for one of my swap goodies! I found a beautiful pattern on about.com that works up really fast and has a beautiful scalloped border on it.

Tracy said...

Now I want to make these and these (http://eyesofwonder.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/08/instead-of-a-sw.html)

Someday I will learn to crochet more than a chain and learn to pick up knitting needles!

*carrie* said...

Another great idea, Monica. I didn't realize you had Granny's old hook--that is so neat!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Can I just say I'm jealous of all your ideas and craftiness? I love coming to your blog for all these ideas. I have never tried this, but I would like to.

Thanks for sharing!

mama k said...

Great job! I love knit, crochet and basically working with my hands. Those dishcloths are way better than the store bought kind, but I never seem to find the time to make some. LOL

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you showed how to do this. Once again you have posted something that I was wanting to learn. I will be starting mine once school starts in 2 weeks. Thanks for the wonderful post.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Somehow these looked like potholders to me too! Versatile!

Kimberlee - I think they are soft enough, but you could always select even softer or baby yarn to make them. Great idea!

Christy - I've tried both knitting and crocheting and MUCH prefer crocheting. I did finish a dishcloth with knitting, but I haven't done any since so I'd have to relearn. Something about only one hook (needle) seems simpler!

Tracy - I was just looking at that shawl this morning! It is soooo cute! I hope you make one someday - I don't think it ever gets cold enough here for something like that! :)

Ladies, once again, you all are the best commenters ever! Love all the great thoughts/ideas!

Anonymous said...

Do you happen to know how to keep these clean and soft? I have a couple that were given to me as gifts (I don't know how to crochet, but looks like something fun to learn!) and I have used them to wipe up our girls after meals rather than going through so much paper towel. But they have gotten pretty crusty/rough over time and washing doesn't seem to help much. Do you know of any trick to keep them nice and soft? Or are they just the kind of thing that needs to be replaced at that point?

I love your colors! Very nice job!

Anonymous said...

Monica, these turned out great! I like the name of the yarn -- Sugar 'n Cream. :)

I think Granny used that hook for making potholders. Remember the red loom? A crochet hook was used to weave the loops and get them off the loom when the potholder was done.

As far as I know, she didn't crochet much in her older years -- maybe when she was younger she did.

Love you -- Mom

Liberty said...

I am a knitter and I want to go buy some of that yummy yarn! Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

They look so sweet! I'm sure the recipients will be excited to receive these, not only because they are cute, but because you spent the time to make them!
Blessings,
Joy

Carmen at Old House Homestead said...

They look so cute! I think I'll have to re-teach myself how to crochet so I can teach my oldest daughter!

Thanks for the great ideas! (I love the tree!)

Hugs,
Carmen

Monica Wilkinson said...

Kristin - I'm actually not sure what to suggest, but am guessing maybe it is time to replace those washcloths? Hmmm - I'll let you know if I figure something out!

Amy said...

Those are so beautiful! I need to learn to crochet. I love the colors that you chose. That will be a fabulous stocking stuffer!

Christine said...

These are precious and very useful. I love the way that you ornately packaged them! Thank you for including the instructions; these seem very feasible to make, and they are simply lovely. Blessings!

~~Deby said...

love these dishcloths...
Deby