Thursday, August 09, 2007

Homespun Tree: Update

Great feedback, ladies, on the Homespun Christmas Tree I posted last week! I loved your ideas for a rusty tin star - but frankly, these are hard to come by at least in my area. I used to always buy them when I got to a Hobby Lobby, but they have stopped carrying them. My Mom would also buy them for me when she found them, but again, at Hobby Lobby. You can get them online, but with shipping, I just questioned the value. I had one tin star left and it was too small - just did not look right.

But, Amy saved the day! She suggested the most charming idea of making cinnamon applesauce cut-outs of stars and using that for the star. I was so thrilled with this idea - I was in the kitchen moments after reading her comment whipping up a batch of these ornaments!

I quickly began to realize how many cut-outs this batch was going to make and my crafty thoughts were swirling. These would be amazing as gift tie-ons. Oh! What about a garland made out of them? Fun, fun, fun.

So, here is the tree in a pot and with a star:


I also loved the idea of grouping three of the unpotted trees together - but haven't had a chance to make three more yet! :)

Here is a snowflake garland I made:

And, a star garland getting ready to be packaged for giving or selling:

Here is a snowflake as a gift tie-on:


And, a star mini ornament:


Your house will smell amazing while you are baking these! And, with the inexpensive cinnamon available at places like Walgreens for 29 or 39 cents a bottle, these really are inexpensive to make. Thanks, Carrie, for the recipe!

Cinnamon Ornaments

1 1/2 c. powdered cinnamon
1 c. applesauce
1/4 c. school glue
bowl
plastic wrap or plate
wax paper
cookie cutters
ribbon
drinking straw
rolling pin

Mix cinnamon, applesauce and glue in a bowl. (You can add water if it is too stiff - I did not need to do this though.) Knead dough until smooth, cover bowl with a plate or plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.

Knead dough again and flatten with rolling pin to about 1/4"-1/8" thickness. Cut out shapes and make hole with drinking straw.

Bake ornaments for an hour in a 150 degree oven (mine doesn't go any lower than 170 and this worked fine) on a cookie sheet. Turn over half way through. Allow to cool and harden before adding ribbon or twine.

I sent David to work today with a basket of samples to take orders for Christmas - here is a link for anyone who is interested: Homespun Christmas Sale. I'd love to hear what you think!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Monica how my heart skipped a beat with excitement when i saw this. I LOVE your ideas. So totally my taste as I am sure you know!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe. YEAH a new craft. Now if we could just find some time to get a visit up. this would be great to work on together. Oh and Labor day is no good as Bill will be on leave. :(

Anonymous said...

Oh and the tree looks sooooooo sweet. I love how it turned out

Tracy said...

What a great idea!!!! I hope that you do well with it.

Wendi said...

Cute! I hope to be able to try this.

Anonymous said...

This turned out so cute -- and I can just smell the cinnamon! Were you playing Christmas music as you worked on all these projects?? :)
Love you, Mom

*carrie* said...

Mo,

I love how this turned out! So glad the recipe worked well for you. You're going to get all of us in the Christmas mood. =)

Debbie J said...

I have a Christmas Ornament like those that my son made in Sunday School at least 12 years ago and we hang it on the tree every year. It has a shiny gold ribbon to hang it with. I would love to make some of these ideas for Christmas this year. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am ridiculously excited that you liked my idea :o) I want to share something cute I did one year as a party favor for an ornament exchange. I cut out small gingerbread men and glued a pin back to the back of them. I tied them to red gift bags with green curling ribbon-the bags were for transporting the ornaments. Everyone loved them & wore them for weeks. I would recommend spraying the back with some sort of clear coat to make them a bit stronger (but not the whole thing or you might not be able to smell them).

Anonymous said...

I have had a few questions regarding the baked
stars/snowflakes.

Will they stain?
Can you put them near a fireplace without any problems?
How long will they last (smell/shape)?

ps. They seem to be the most popular with the trees right behind.

melissa said...

I love your ideas!

Great start to your Christmas projects!