Thursday, July 19, 2007

Old-Fashioned Fourth!

We had a great 4th of July! My Mom and I had attended this Old Fashioned celebration several times before, but this was a first for the little ladies!

Rock Ledge Ranch opens their homestead for this event. They have a garden, animals, stilts, croquet, homemade icecream, tours of the homes, demonstrations and more. Our stamina was limited by nap times, but we did get to do some fun things. In the upstairs of the barn, they have lots of fun games for little ones (not quite as little as ours) to play!

Emily and Rachel both enjoyed the duck pond and the prizes:

They also had balloon darts, clothespin drop, toss the beanbag into the milk can, etc...

We saw sheep, pigs, horses and chickens! Then, we found a place to sit and eat our "traditional" 4th of July picnic.


While we were eating, a local orchestra played patriotic music. Rachel has just learned to clap and wanted to join in the fun:


That was followed by a reading of the Declaration of Independence. Everyone was in period costumes - it was great! Hmmm, wouldn't it be fun to plan something like this at my house for my friends next year?

Our traditional picnic always includes:

Homemade Chicken Salad served on Oatmeal Muffins
Chips (this time including chip dip!)
Fruit
Dessert (this time - Brownies, made by my friend Susan!)
Drinks

Chicken Salad:

4 boneless chicken breast halves cooked and cut or shredded
4 stalks celery cut in small pieces
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 c. green grapes halved
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. mayonnaise

Mix and chill to blend flavors. Take to picnic in a canning jar! We like sliced almonds served on top of ours for a little extra crunch!

Oatmeal Muffins:
1 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. oats

Add:
1 egg
1 c. milk
3 T. oil

Stir just to moisten. Spoon into prepared muffin tin and bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. Makes: 12 muffins

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just realizing how much you look like you mom!! It looks like a wonderful time. I am glad you got to spend it with your family in CO. this year!!

Anonymous said...

once again you have posted some wonderful reciepe's that I look forward to trying out.

Hope you have a great day!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great post about our fun 4th of July! It was a fun day! :)
Love, Mom

*carrie* said...

Wish I could've gone, too!

I love the pic of E with the little crown.

Amy said...

That looks like such a lovely celebration! Your chicken salad and muffins sound delicious too! I am glad your family had a happy fourth!!

Sonya said...

I love homemade chicken salad and I try to make it for special occasions. It's just so yummy! Love the pics and I agree that you and your mom look SO much alike! The picnic and this place sounds really fun! Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun was had by all.

Susan said...

Looks like so much fun! I missed celebrating the 4th. I had a special July 4th onsie for my son to show off here in Europe. But he went doo doo in it before we went out the door. So much for showing American pride;(

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what to have for a hot summer dinner and now I have it. Thanks so much.

Jenn said...

Oh wow, it looks like you had a wonderful time! What a fun childhood you are making for your girls~

Hugs,
Jenn