Friday, December 21, 2018

Fight, Finish, Faith


Many of you who follow me on Instagram or Facebook probably already know this, but since I sort of fell off the face of the earth here on my blog - I wanted to post an update.

On December 12, my Dad went home to be with the Lord. We saw God's mercies throughout that week including the fact that my children and I were already here in Colorado and had time with my Dad before he went to Heaven and also were here with my Mom during this time.

We unexpectedly decided to stay in Colorado for Christmas and my sister and her family are here as well. Being here with family has been a blessing and we are so very thankful that he is not suffering any longer.


During the funeral, the pastor shared from 2 Timothy 4:7-8, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day - and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 

He pointed out the F's: Fight, Finish, Faith and also Future - good things to keep in mind as we all strive to live for Heaven.

I'm sure I'll have more to say about this in the future - the hard road we've been on for the last ten years is something I haven't been able to talk much about in recent years because my Dad would read this and was not very open to talking about the end.

But, he is now healed. He is whole. He can run and breathe easily and be free. We are sad. We are grateful. We are being upheld by the Lord. And we are so thankful for all the nice comments, prayers and outpouring of love and support.


* Farmgirl Flowers from some dear friends!
* Colorado sunrise.

17 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Monica, God knew how much I would need you during Dad's final days - I am so grateful that you were here! Thank you for everything that you've done - not just this month, but in the previous 10 years of this long, hard journey. As you say, Dad is now healed, and he can run and breathe freely. And what a blessing to have you and your family, Carrie and her family all here together to celebrate Dad's life, Nathan's birthday, and Christmas! Love you!

Lisa said...

Continued prayers...

*carrie* said...

Love, love, love you!

Jen said...

You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I lost my sweet dad almost 6 years ago. Like your dad, he was very active--running, biking, kayaking--and it was very difficult to watch my big, strong daddy wither away from illness. He died much sooner than anyone anticipated and, while I miss him every day, I would never wish him back full of sickness and disease. I know today he is running and biking and kayaking in glory! I can't even imagine. And nothing makes the hope of heaven sweeter than knowing your loved one is waiting for you there! I know from experience that the days and months ahead will be difficult in many ways you don't expect--like crying in the grocery store when seeing my dad's favorite cookies or hearing news about his favorite sports teams and knowing how much he would enjoy hearing it too--but I also know Jesus is near. May you feel HIS presence in ways you never imagined as you walk the road ahead. Praying also for you as you minister to your mom, especially from a distance. I was in the same situation, and it's very hard. I felt very much like the parent as I slept on the floor beside my mom's bed just in case she needed comfort or anything else in the middle of the night those first few weeks. I'm an oldest daughter too, and I know the sense of responsibility and desire to honor your mom in this time is very real. Much love to you all.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I've been praying for you and your family. Today is a hard one as I later spend the day with a friend who will be burying her mom after passing away so unexpectedly this week. It is a reminder of how short life is and we need to live each day as though it were our last.

Agnes said...

Dear Monica,
Love and prayers for you and your family, what a gift for all of you to be there and celebrate your Dad's life. Take care and cherish that time in your family cocoon.
Take care

Ginger said...

I have been thinking of you and your family ever since I read the news on Instagram. There are no words for a time like this, but I am sending you virtual hugs.

Anonymous said...

Monica, I am so sorry you and your family have to say good-bye to your Dad. So glad though that you all have the comfort of knowing he is in heaven with his Lord. I'll be praying for you all!

Wendy said...

I am sorry for your loss, but rejoice that your Dad is with our Savior now. I will be praying for your family.

Anonymous said...

So thankful I could be there with you this week to celebrate your dad's life...and be with all of you for a short time. My love and prayers continue to be with you all.
Much love, Grandma/Nana

Simply Quaint said...

Blessings to all of you......blessing to your dad for such a battle, but heaven awaited, what a glorious trip god had planned....prayers that your heavy hearts do know you’ll be together again in a wonderful place....you all have faith, you know.....


Rhonda

Debbie J said...

Thinking of you and your family at this time. From reading your blog over the years, I know how special your Dad was (and is) to you. Prayers and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica and all of your family,
I'm thinking of you and so sorry for your loss.
Love,
Jo

Pam said...

I am so very sorry for your loss, but so very thankful that, by the grace of God, you and the children were able to be there for both your mom and dad.

Anonymous said...

Monica ~ You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers. I'm thankful God's hands worked out all of these details for your family :) Blessings and Merry Christmas!

Carol said...

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I am praying for you and your family during this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Monica, I am so very sorry for your loss. The love you and your parents had was evident and beautiful. May the Lord grant you peace in your morning. ~tammyp