Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Friendsgiving


Over the weekend, we hosted a fun gathering for Rachel's CC class - a Friendsgiving dinner!

We had the students dress up a bit {church dress} and I did my favorite thing: set a pretty table! I was in charge of pies and another mom brought the turkey. Everyone else brought a side so dinner was easy!

The evening began with a little photo booth - to my surprise, this was not very popular! Photo booth printables are here. I made the little garland and used a frame I already had {originally thrifted}. If you want to make the banner, you can print it here and just cut into desired shape. I think everyone was just having so much fun talking they didn't want to stop and do photos! My girls had a little fun before everyone arrived!






After everyone arrived and had time to visit, we did a short devotion about the ten lepers who were healed and only one came back to say thank you. We loosely walked through this devotion.

Then it was time to eat! Give Thanks printable banner here. I also had these little fun facts/jokes on the table for dinner fun!























After dinner, we planned ahead of time to do a service project together. We decided to do a Care Kit Party for Sole Hope. Each family brought an item to contribute to the building of the kits and then our students assembled them - it was great!




In addition, we did a make-and-take that they could take home to give to someone to show how they are thankful for them! We stamped wooden spoons and wrote notes. So sweet.

Dessert and sparkling cider/grape juice was the perfect ending to our fun evening. I had never hosted a Friendsgiving, but seeing Rachel and her friends so excited and enjoying themselves so much was very affirming and encouraging. We are so grateful for these friends!

I made both apple and pumpkin pies. The pumpkin one needed to be gluten and dairy free, which was an experiment for me, but I'm happy to say it turned out amazing!

If you are looking for a gf, df pumpkin pie, I highly recommend this! This is just modified from my normal pumpkin pie recipe.

Gluten and Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie

one graham cracker crust, I ordered with my WM grocery order and it was free of most common allergens

Filling:
1-15 oz. can pumpkin
1 egg
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
about 2/3 c. coconut cream {heavy, thick cream - this can was given to me but was from Trader Joe's}

Whisk these ingredients together and pour into crust. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.

Topping:
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour {I try keep a small amount of gf flour on hand for things like this}
2 Tbsp. coconut oil {works best if cold so you can cut into flour/sugar like butter}
about 1/2 c. ground pecans or 3/4 c. pecan halves {I just eye-balled this and used ground this time}

Stir together, spread over top of filling and reduce oven to 350. Bake an additional 40 minutes.

Serve with the remaining cream from the can of coconut cream sweetened with a little sugar.

Have you ever done a Friendsgiving party?

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sweet girls, pretty table, fun evening. :)