Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Acts 2:46 Vintage Linen Art


After seeing that amazing art work on Joanna Gaines Instagram feed, it reminded me of this dreamy dish towel floating around on Pinterest. I noticed it probably at least a year ago - but the price was out of my range.

I typed in "Acts 2:46" on Pinterest recently and found this gem of a craft tutorial for printing this verse on canvas. This post actually became a spring-board for me to something I thought was even easier and thriftier.

A couple of years ago, I did a free online Christmas crafting course and one of the crafts taught us how to print on fabric. I think there were more steps - but the gist of it is to use a piece of cardstock and spray it with spray adhesive {spray inside of a box so it is not all over the place!} Then smooth your fabric over the cardstock and trim edges so they are even. I am serious, that is all there is to it - feed it into your printer and boom. We have a laser jet printer so I can only vouch for how great it works in that, have not tested on other types on ink.



Look at that dreamy aged fabric and swoony edges! A friend gave me some vintage pillowcases and hankies/cloth napkins a few months ago. One of the pillowcases had a huge rip right next to the seam and I just helped it out and ripped it all the way off - that great crocheted trim was already there. I hemmed the remaining three edges in contrasting thread.

The cloth napkin {size of a vintage hankie} is what I attached to cardstock and ran through my printer - you will probably want to trim your seams off before putting through your printer, although that edge with trim on it {upper edge of trim} ran through fine.

It was easy to top stitch the napkin on to the half-pillowcase! I'm not completely sure yet if this is washable and/or how well it would hold up. Since I love it so much as it is, I think I'm going to use it for decor right now because I'm afraid to mess it up!


I actually made this hoop art first - also on a vintage hankie and just tucked into a thrifted embroidery hoop with scrappy pieces of leftover fabric covering the hoop. I like both options!

Now, I spent all week after making these on this passage in my Quiet Times. More coming on that later in the week!

4 comments:

Shelby said...

Now that is my kind of craft Monica. I think I might actually try that, it looks easy. You always come up with the best ideas. swoony I love it.

*carrie* said...

That turned out so cute!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Thanks so much @Shelby!

Kelli said...

I love how this turned out! It sounds somewhat easy but not sure if it is something I can tackle. Have a wonderful day!