Monday, September 24, 2018

The Joy of Concert Tickets


It has been several years I guess, since I first heard a Skillet song. I think one of the first songs Emily liked was called Monster and it immediately put me back in High School when I liked DC Talk.

I remember writing my Mom a note with the lyrics asking her for reconsideration to listen to their music. She must've granted it because I went to see them in concert at least once if not more than once along with Newsboys and more.

The point is, I remember music being important when I was a teenager. Music is still important, but as I confessed to a friend over the weekend - in a noisy life, it can sometimes feel like more noise so I frequently turn it off.

David, however, has really nurtured a love for and enjoyment of great Christian music with our kids. It is something they enjoy doing with him and this summer on our road trip {without him} they wanted to make lists of songs they heard on the radio to share with Daddy! Love that this is a special thing they do with him!

Emily's love of Skillet is not a new thing but has been around for at least a few years. I think it was last year for her birthday that I ordered the above t-shirt for her after not finding a concert within reasonable distance but wanting her to know that I noticed what she was interested in and support it.

This summer I began thinking about her birthday coming up in November and started looking up Skillet concerts again. The closest options to us were Charlotte, NC and Orlando, FL - so David and I talked about it and bought tickets for him to take her for an early birthday celebration.

They went this past Saturday to Carowinds in Charlotte and I just can't tell you how it has moved my heart and eyes to tears several times in thinking about how happy this made her.

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!" ~ Matthew 7:9-11

I remember feeling this way when we took our kids to Disney World each for the 5th birthday. Emotion swelled from within me at the idea that we could celebrate them in a big way that felt special and meaningful.

After they got home in the early hours of the morning and fell right into bed, I talked to Emily when she woke up about all the details of the concert and their day together. I asked if it was everything she hoped it would be and she replied, "oh yes and more!" That made my day. Maybe even my year in my relationship with her.

God is giving me a desire again and again lately to soften towards my children, to love on them more and to just be a joy to them. I will need His help to do it as I've proved over and over I can be a task master who is focused on completing things and trying to maintain order in situations. But I do want His help and strength to fulfill these desires He's giving.

My time with them is so limited in years considering how many have already passed by and how quickly they are growing up.

All this to say, I am encouraged and rejoicing in the idea God gave to get these concert tickets. Buying tickets to a concert may not seem a big deal but when it invests in the hearts of my children - I say it is a big deal. It can bring joy and delight!






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! Sometimes I think by doing something too special, my kids may become "spoiled" but this is never the case, it just makes them feel loved. I understand the taskmaster thing too - there is so much to cover schooling-wise and to do to the keep the household going! Great to remember the days with our precious kids are slowly ticking away. Love the investment in this great memory that Emily and her dad will always share! :)

*carrie* said...

So glad they had a special time together! Great idea for a gift--an experience rather than a thing, and one that shows you value her interests.

Mom said...

I love these thoughts from your heart about our sweet Emily and honoring her upcoming birthday with this special outing with her daddy. What treasured memories! I loved hearing her tell about it on the phone yesterday and seeing these photos. :)

(PS: I don't remember the DC Talk conversation - which just goes to show that it must have been more important to you than it was to me!)

Mary Ann said...

Love this post! You have a beautiful heart, Monica. We live just 15 minutes away from Carowinds!