Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Health: Sore Throat Helps
Several years ago, I had strep throat three times in a short two month time period. Throat ailments have always been the thing that I will catch and that will knock me out a couple of times per year.
After this intense Spring, I was getting desperate for a better solution. First of all, it was miserable but it was taking me out of commission for a couple of days each time and I was really needing some resolution. I did go to the doctor, but I prefer not to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary and honestly I was looking for more of a solution rather than treatment.
That summer I went to an Essential Oils info meeting and that began a journey to discovering a number of things that have helped me care for my throat and to attack symptoms before they are fully onset.
In hopes that this may help someone else, here is a list of things that has helped me in managing my sore throat issues. Whenever I feel something coming on, I start multiple of these things and I've never had a full blown sore throat that kept me in bed since. Yes, I will feel run down or like I'm fighting something but not to the degree I'd had before.
Again, just a reminder that I am not a doctor! Just sharing what has helped me.
* Oregano Oil: I put this on the bottom of my feet along with Thieves, On Guard or whatever you may call it based on what brand you prefer. Typically when fighting something off, I will do this three times a day.
* Lemon Oil: this is very soothing when my throat is scratchy or starting to get sore. I mix it with almond oil and rub directly on the outside of my throat. To avoid having to mix it each time, I keep a small EO bottle that is already mixed and I just use as needed.
* Thieves Oil/On Guard: this versatile oil blend is sold under a variety of names depending on which brand you purchase from. I found a recipe for making my own several years ago and that is what I've done ever since. Because it is a proprietary blend though, I don't feel that I can post the recipe online publicly. I'm happy to share it via email if you are interested. I like to diffuse this and put it on my feet.
* Ginger Lemon tea: steeping pieces of ginger root and then stirring in lemon and honey makes a delightful tea. I drink it even when I'm feeling fine! I have enjoyed it so much that I keep the ginger/lemon/honey concentrate in my freezer and just thaw out one portion when I want tea so that I don't have to keep fresh lemons and ginger on hand and accidentally let them spoil.
* Elderberry Syrup: perfect for helping with feeling run down, when I feel like I'm fighting something, I take it three times a day.
* Throat Coat tea: this has been a great discovery too - Traditional Medicinals makes a variety of herbal teas for various symptoms. So far, I've only tried this one and love it! I steep mine with a peppermint tea bag also for ten minutes. Then stir in 1 Tbsp. honey and sip. Lovely!
What are your favorite all-natural throat care remedies?
* Amazon affiliate links above.