Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Applesauce Day


The tradition of applesauce making continues in our home! We bought less apples this year and it was just the right amount to handle making in one day which fits my life right now. Plus we had not run out of sauce from last year yet!

I love that we have gotten into quite a system for making applesauce and for the memories we together!




We made all the sauce in one day and then canned it the next which worked out great! I could switch out the jars in the canner easily while still having school so it was a good fit for our schedule! And it is a great feeling having it all done and preserved for the year ahead! Plus it made our house smell amazing!






5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love making applesauce! With my new strainer last year, the yield was greater than before so I ended up with a good amount more quarts than usual. This means I probably really won't have to can applesauce this year. However, I'd love to make some to eat fresh and we're out of apple butter so I may not be able to stop myself from doing a little.;-)Hoping a little mountain trip is in the near future.

mysweetbunch said...

Do you have a recipe to make the applesauce? Looks wonderful! Christy

Mom said...

Mmmmm - I can almost smell the apple-y goodness! :)

mysweetbunch said...

This looks wonderful? Can you share the recipe? Christy

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Christy! Thanks - my recipe is super simple:

2 c. water
apples quartered to fill a dutch oven

Simmer until all apples are soft, run through a food mill and fill jars. Process jars in a water bath canner. That's it!

Enjoy!