Friday, January 13, 2017

Hygge


Have you heard of the Danish word hygge? You pronounce it roughly hue-gah, that would be the closest English sounds we would easily know to say it!

Anyway, a couple of you who visit here first told me about this word and what it means which essentially is cozy. Really, go look this up - it is a thing in Denmark! I'm so intrigued!

Here's an interesting article I found that explains it! Or this blog named Hygge House.

I'm relishing a rare cold evening and trying to enjoy all the cozyness of winter while it is here for a few days! Cozy is one of my favorite pursuits in our home and I've been known to say more than once that if there is one thing our family does will it is cozy.

There are a number of books and posts on Pinterest about this word hygge and I look forward to learning more. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my the therapeutic benefits of cozying our own home. I am continuing to work towards getting rid of 1000 things this month. Getting very close to the half way mark and it is great!

With that, I'm also trying not to bring anything {groceries and library books don't count!} into our home as that would so easily derail my efforts! With a cozy evening at hand - it was nice to craft a couple of simple little things.



While we were in Colorado, a friend hosted a craft night where they made these felted ball garlands. I've been wanting to make one so I asked if she could save me a "kit" and it was so very simple and yet also lovely to slowly string these soft little balls of wool onto a string and hang them.



I started re-watching Downton Abbey from the beginning while I was crafting!




Next, I gathered a spool of twine and the orange slices I dried over Christmas and hung them over a shelf above our couch. Natural elements are my favorite right now!






When my family gets home any minute from Awana, we are building a fire and David is reading The Hobbit aloud!

What are your favorite cozy things?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have read a few books on hygee. I love the concept! Cozy things.... Hot cocoa or coffee, warm blankets, candlelight, good smells from good food, being together, good music...

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

thank you so much for this post!! i have been struggling with my word for the year and now i have it. i did a pinterest search and everything spoke so deeply to my soul. i just love how everything comes together in God's timing.

i love all things cozy...precious time spent with my kids, snuggling up with a warm blanket, a good book or movie, hot chocolate, hubby, etc

can you share how to make those felt balls? i would love to make a garland for my window.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Debbie! Yay! So glad you have found your word! I did not make the balls, you can find them all over Etsy and these were purchased by a friend for a crafty evening she had. I asked her where she got them and she said this link on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/felt.balls.rug.wholesale?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Happy Hygge!

Mary Ann said...

I've been looking at those felt balls on Etsy and would love to make a garland(or three!). So funny to see you post about them--great minds think alike!

I love cozy... candlelight, sipping hot tea together, small lamps around the house vs. glaring overhead lights, diffusing an orange-cinnamon essential oil combo, being HOME is the coziest feeling of all!

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

We do cozy a lot here. Games, warm food, blankets, warm dessert, hot cocoa, Hallmark movies and popcorn. Those are a few of our favorite cozy things kus my reading. I love reading.

Jen said...

It's great to see you titled this post with the word Hygge. When I first learned of it, I couldn't peel myself from the computer screen! I have since put my candles on a timer (actually, hubby did that for me). Everyday after we get home from running around, I immediately make myself comfortable. I would tell my hubby and my boy "let's Hygge!" They all laugh at me but they like the candle lights and the calm feeling we have in the home. Where we live doesn't have winter weather so it is important for me to have these hugge moments (I also named my pinterest board that). The interesting thing is my one word motto for this year is "rest" (in Him only). I felt like it was the Lord's timing for me to bump into that word (Hygge) and open up a cozy world to start me on the physical resting part of the motto. God is good!

Elise said...

I think you do "Hygge" better than anyone I know! I've been so enthralled with it since I first heard of it. By the way, I know it's pronounced a little differently, but I say, "Higgy", in my head. Haha! Happy Hygge!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Thank you for the link! I didn't see my post the first time I came to look so it might not have been approved yet.