Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Slow Retreat Part Two


During one of my mornings of study and reflection, I came across 2 Chronicles 15 - I have now read it multiple times a week for several weeks since then. It is my theme going into a new school year.

The theme of the chapter is recounting part of the reign of King Asa. It is a reform and a transformation if you will. Asa hears a message from God through the prophet Azariah and really received the challenge and call to respond in how he follows God.



There are so many beautiful words and lessons in these 19 verses, and I will write another post in the future about what I'm learning and love. But for now - take away these two words which have been the overarching theme for me: eager and wholehearted.

Eager.

Wholehearted.

Think about what those words bring to mind and/or mean to you already. If you're up for it, open your Bible to 2 Chronicles 15 and read it some morning this week in your quiet time.



These words are consuming me, comforting and challenging, guiding and encouraging all at once. I especially love the Old Testament for studying in my morning quiet times. There is just something so beautiful and encouraging about seeing these people of God who lived before Christ was on earth {talk about living by faith and not by sight} and how they followed God. I just find many of them so inspiring.





Ok, so my words are eager and wholehearted right now. What is one or more words on your heart these days? What are you reading during your quiet time with the Lord?

 

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I have been thinking on the words from Isaiah 30:15: returning, rest, quietness, trust
I often live anxious and over-think especially if I have big deadlines.

Tina Leigh said...

Our Sunday School series evokes the same feelings from the books of Samuel. It makes me think how Israel has always been so rebellious (like me) yet God is so loving & faithful and wants to draw us back to Himself. And of course, our nation is the same way. I pray God continues to chase after us.

And I am in May 2009 of your blog. I'm not sure how many years ago it was when I first found your blog but I'm enjoying it so much.

I can't wait to get your book!