Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Noticing Beauty vs. Productivity




With a busy summer of travel and only a few days at home in between, I've been trying to be very productive during our days at home. While this has been lovely, needed, beneficial and so glorious to get so much done - I am noticing that when I get in this productivity mode, beauty falls by the wayside many times.

I get going on a project or trying to complete something and because I am such a finisher - will carry it through until the end. When this happens, it is hard to slow or pause and I notice that I am missing opportunities for little moments of slow and the simple joy of enjoying everyday beauty of life.






Naturally, this causes me to stop and consider - is there a way to be more balanced in this? I'm not sure I know the answer to that yet, but it is something I'm mulling over right now. Typically, I do go through seasons of greater productivity and then greater creativity and perhaps back again. Maybe it is just a normal cycle of life for me.

I would love to hear your thoughts and observations on this as well if you have any insight to share! Of course, remembering to ask God for His help is where I've started. Asking God to continue to cultivate the heart of creativity and beauty He has given me and to learn to balance being productive with the slowing down to enjoy the beauty of life.

For now, I'm so grateful for the opportunity to go camping. Camping has a way of naturally slowing us down to enjoy God's amazing creation, reading, playing together as a family and resting. 











4 comments:

Shelby said...

You captured some beautiful pictures Monica. Love the one of all of you on the bench:) Looks like a beautiful time together that your children will never forget.

Wendi said...

When you said that you are a finisher all I could do was nod. That is so me! Sometimes to point of obsession and frustration. Using the timer has really helped me. I will set it for 15-30 minutes and then I force myself to walk away and do something else for a little bit. It helps that balance between getting things done and enjoying life. Also it helps the balance between sanity and obsession!

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

I am the same way....I am a finisher. It sounds like it is our normal cycle. I go through the same type of seasons. great productivity and then great creativity. Very rarely at the same time, sadly. :) But maybe it is as the saying....To Everything there is a Season.

Jenny said...

This is such a good question! Realizing that my kids are getting older (approaching Middle school and high school) forces me to slow down and savor our sweet moments at home. And since they are older now, I am able to be more productive with such great helpers around the house.