Monday, April 06, 2015

Busy Mama's "Hot Cross Buns"


I woke up Saturday morning and was checking my email, scanning a few blogs and such and came across PW's post on Hot Cross Buns. My first thought was in scanning mentally through our schedule for the day to see how I could fit in time to make these for afternoon tea time or something. But, we had a host of other things that needed to be done and I was a tad irritated that I hadn't thought of it on Good Friday!

So, I just sat for a moment on my couch and wondered if I had anything on hand that I could make these more quickly for breakfast. I sort of mentally went through a few options and then realized I could make biscuits quickly and just do a little bit of frosting on the top and call it good!




After all, the memory making is not in how long it took me to prepare but in the special moments that we choose to celebrate, right?!

I dashed into the kitchen and set the oven to preheat and pulled out {gasp!} a box of Bisquick {don't judge} and came up with these biscuits in very short order. I was pleased that these turned out to be tasty as well as a lovely tradition for Easter Weekend.



Busy Mama's "Hot Cross Buns"

Double recipe Bisquick or homemade biscuit recipe of choice
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Raisins {optional, I don't care for them so we didn't have any!}

Mix, press flat and cut with biscuit cutter. Spread butter on tops and sprinkle with a little sugar. Marvel at the fact that you just made those in the time it took to preheat your oven! Bake at 450 about 9 minutes.

Frosting:
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. milk
Made about twice as much frosting as needed, but since these are the measurements I tested I don't want to half them without trying it! I put the frosting in a small ziploc and just cut the corner and "piped" onto the warm biscuits {no, I didn't wait very long for them to cool!}




Now, proceed with the rest of your day! If only I could've figured out a Busy Mama's Speedy Wheat Grass for Easter! Once again, I forgot - so I wrote it on the calendar to remind myself to jot it on my calendar one week ahead next year!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Monica! Nothing wrong with Bisquick! They look yummy! Love you, Grandma

Wendi said...

I am in love with the idea of jotting something on the calendar as a reminder for the next year. Genius!