Tuesday, March 31, 2015

March Family Nights


We had fun serving together this month though I failed again at taking photos of those opportunities!

Early March, we had the fun of making the above cake for our local children's shelter - he requested a Ninja Turtle cake! So cute.

Our church hosted an Answers in Genesis conference and we had the opportunity to serve at a church work day before hand vacuuming seats, floors, dusting and helping lay pine straw outside. We were busy! We also enjoyed helping with the AiG bookstore set up and then helped at the bookstore one time slot as well.

We have served in our church nursery, volunteered together at a local thrift store hanging up clothes for the new spring season, and honestly I can't remember what else. The point is not to go on and on about what we did together and I don't want this to turn into a list of look what we did! But rather, to encourage that it is both a gift and valuable to serve together as a family.

So far, one thing I've enjoyed watching is how easy it is to do. It doesn't have to be complicated to arrange or pull off - it can just be taking a meal to someone, delivering something to their house, pushing carts into the store or another super simple option.

What are your favorite ways to serve?

4 comments:

Ginger said...

When I was part of a homeless ministry downtown, 3 yeArs ago we were handing out bag lunches when lady on a bike told us to follow her home. There I met her mother Priscilla, a fine Christian lady who had had a stroke. For three years now I have been taking her a meal on the weekend. I have provided their Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter meals as well.

Wendi said...

I know some little men in my life that would love that cake. :)

I am in a season where serving is hard. I am in one of those overwhelmed times. My go to way of serving is providing meals. We also teach a Sunday School class. Thanks for sharing the ways you serve. It makes me want to step outside of my comfort zone and reach out a little more.

Christy Stanton said...

Love it! We have a ministry night at our church once a month and we also take our children to visit the elderly and seek to serve them in some way.

Anonymous said...

Monica,
This is wonderful! I'm so inspired. Thank you for sharing! Sadly, we've done nothing as an entire family.

I'm most moved by the idea of baking a cake tht a child requests for their birthday- how did you do that? Did you contact the children center and ask? And by children's center, do you mean a homeless center?
Thank you so much for sharing all of this. I'd love to see a post about the steps take to do these types of things, if you ever had time nor inclination. Thank yin again:)
Grace