Monday, March 31, 2014

Slow: Exodus 3-12 Part One


Well, it was unintentionally quiet here on my blog last week ~ so this week will be time to share some of what I was writing and processing during that time. I've jumped into studying slow in the Bible and I am loving it!

Feel free to grab your Bible and read along!

Here is where I started: Exodus 4:10, "I am slow of speech and tongue."

I knew it was Moses speaking and I knew it was God asking him to go and help deliver the Israelites from Egypt. But I wanted to dig deeper and explore the context and what I could glean from the big picture.

Come along with me as I explore this passage for slow.

Exodus 3:1-4
Moses is curious about the burning bush and goes to check it out while hearing a call ~ his response, "Here I am" is a surrender to be available. And, his surrender continues gradually throughout the passage. Actually, it seems that Moses goes in and out of being willing to surrender.

Exodus 3:4-6
"take off your sandals for the place you are is holy..."
Here we see Moses adopting a reverent posture before God; less of himself, more of God. We see less and worship.

Exodus 3:7-22
There is a job to be done and it sounds overwhelming to Moses based on his response in verse 11, it is like when we are overwhelmed and we wonder how we will get everything done. Look at God's response in verse 12, "I will be with you..."

He reassures, equips and enables us to do His will.

Moses questions again and again and God assures again and again.

God gave Moses specific steps to follow and an orderly plan.   

Exodus 4:1-17
Look at the back and forth of the surrender/control. Moses is obviously struggling with this calling. One thing slow is to me is a heart at peace and I can't be at peace when wrestling like this.

Exodus 4:18-23
Moses is not slow to obey - this is the time for action: when we have a mission from God. We should not delay to obey.

Exodus 4:24-26
Moses had been slow to obey in circumcising his son. And we see the consequences hovering of slow obedience.


Exodus 4:27-31
There is beauty in this picture of Moses sharing with Aaron. And then both together sharing with the people of Israel. Moses and Aaron were surrendered to God, they were living "less" of themselves and their own agenda, they were carrying out God's orders and now they will worship God. Worship in and of itself is a surrender. These few verses show the slow bookends surrender and worship.

A thought emerges here:
What if the "o" is best for obey?

Surrender
Less
Obey
Worship

More coming tomorrow!