Friday, November 02, 2012

Family Night: State Fair



Not technically at night, but a very fun family time anyway! David and I have talked about going to the Fair every year at this time and just never have for one reason or another - but this year Emily got in free with her 4H membership on 4H day and we bought our tickets in advance for a lovely discount so it seemed the right time to make it happen! We had SO much fun!!!!

 
Um, does that say Deep Fried Butter?!? Ewww, I know Dad - you probably just fell over with that awful thought. :)


It was a gorgeous day that actually started below 70 degrees! Really, the weather was perfect and we started the day with rides {thank you buy one get one early rides!}












Kiddie rides conquered - it was time for one big finale and a MUST for the fair: the Ferris Wheel!








Oops - I was wrong, a few more kiddie rides!



Then we lunched, watched cow shows, listened to a cool band and just experienced a fun place where smiles abounded!


Then, oh then - we had planned to treat our little elephant lover to her first ever elephant RIDE! Why yes, this is her jumping up and down with excitement!




This guy was also offering rides, but I was just hoping he would not spit on me and those teeth? Eeek!


 This is Carolyn ~ she looks a little sad doesn't she?



Everybody on!



Now look closely at Rachel - see how her arm is reaching forward? She patted that sweet elephant the entire ride, I hope that made Carolyn's day for it truly shows the sweet and tender little heart inside our precious Rachel. Her only regret? That she hadn't brought peanuts for Carolyn. Oh. my.



After this wonderful memory made, we had fun petting the animals nearby and visited the sand sculpture, blown glass displays and the amazing flowers!









The girls had wanted to see the "poodle show" all day - so that was our next stop and Emily volunteered to help on stage!



Just as everyone was running out of steam, I realized we had not been here:


David and I were so pleased to see our children enjoying not just the rides, but the animal shows, flowers, quilts, baby things, cakes, etc... as well! Here was our favorite quilt:


On our way out, we enjoyed some Fair treats: cotton candy for the littles and a funnel cake for mom and dad! We just had the best time!





10 comments:

Bonnie said...

LOVED this post! I am a self proclaimed fair "junkie". I started 4-H when I was 11 as a member, then I was a 4-H advisor until shortly before I found out baby #2 was on the way. I haven't missed a fair in 21 years, though I *almost* missed this years when baby #5 was born. I took the kids in on Monday to drop off all of our entries, ("you were due when and you're here???") and then was admitted to the hospital Tuesday for a HBP induction. I sweet talked my husband in to bringing us the last day, and so at 4 days old, baby Z. got his first taste of the fair : )

Wonderful pictures, and Rachel is so cute on the elephant, thank-you for sharing!

Wendi said...

Such a fun day! I always enjoy our time at the fair.

Mom said...

FUN! FUN! FUN! :) So glad you got to go, that the weather was perfect, that you had discounted tickets, and that everyone had fun riding rides -- especially Carolyn, the elephant! Great photos -- thanks for sharing! Love to all, Mom/Grammie

LynnMarie said...

Looks like a great time was had by all. I bet you go back soon.

*carrie* said...

Fun pix, Mo! Can't believe you didn't tell me about the fair the other day!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMILY!

Anonymous said...

Looks like SO much fun! So glad you got to go as a family...and that Rachel got to ride Carolyn, the elephant. So precious!
My favorite thing would have been the funnell cakes!!
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Love you all, Grandma/Nana

P.S.HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SWEET EMILY TODAY!!!

Dawn said...

Oh, I can't tell you how happy it makes me that your family went and enjoyed "my fair"!! I''ve been going to the SC state fair since I was 4 years old!!
Our kids LOVE it and we love it too. BTW- For next yr FYI, you can buy all day ride tickets for $20 up to a couple weeks before the fair. Go to their website and it will give you the info, and you can buy them at BiLo. Saves us a ton on tickets every yr!!

Valerie said...

Oh fun! I have yet to attend the Missouri or Kansas state fairs (we live in KC), but I have attended the granddaddy of them all...the Iowa State Fair. My husband took me when we were newly weds...and I held my first baby piglet! So much fun. Mary Catherine is also in 4H this year (her first year) and so is Ben (he's technically a Clover Bud). We are really looking forward to our County Fair this summer and then the State Fair!

Great ferris wheel pics. Looked like you all had tons of fun.

angie said...

We became a 4H family this year because Hanna joined a small animal 4H group. Our 4H fair is held in our county in conjunction with the peach festival. My kids look forward to it each year, even though it doesn't differ much from one year to the next.
Thanks for taking us along on your trip to the state fair.

Melissa said...

I love funnel cakes! I love these photos! I love that you and your family had such a wonderful time together!

Forgot to share...the other day Jane saw a onesie decorated with elephants and she said, "I sure wish Rachel was a baby so I could buy this for her."