Friday, September 28, 2012

Family Night: Do a Show!


This week's idea was courtesy of David! As we were talking about what to do for Family Night, he pointed out how our children are always wanting to do shows and put on programs. We took the idea and ran with it!

The littles and I made programs and we decided to have the program on our screened porch as it has lights strung on it right now from a shower I had recently (pictures coming of that!) It was so fun!


We also prepared snacks and I printed out the little treat boxes found here. I made these sugar cookie bars so we could decorate a fun First Day of Fall treat (this was last Saturday!) and I didn't have time to do rolled out cut outs. A great substitute! With the bars, just use a cookie cutter to cut out the shape after they are baked and enjoyed pumpkin and leaf shapes! I didn't try the frosting recipe provided, but made our family favorite icing.



Let the show begin!

We really didn't have rules for what they could do in the show - Samuel demonstrated how to put on a football helmet and how to kick a soccer ball :) Rachel is behind the puppet show and Emily sang two songs using a play guitar and the air pump for a mic!





Mama and Daddy got in on the action too - I wrote a short puppet show about the First Day of Fall and David led charades!

It was a fun success!

12 comments:

Sally said...

This is a GREAT idea!!!!!!

Wendi said...

Fun! You are creating special memories. :)

Mom said...

What fun! And it reminds me of the many shows put on in the past by their mama and auntie. :) Great idea -- thanks for sharing :)
Love to all, Mom

Kelli said...

How fun! I love all of your ideas.

angie said...

I like the handmade playbills. What a wonderful idea to have your family provide its own entertainment.
I think the life:beautiful magazine is going on my Christmas wish list.

Karen said...

great job mama!!

Question, what song do you use to learn the timline??? Can you point me to it??

Hattie said...



What fun! Creating happy memories.
Putting on shows was one of the favorite things my girls and their cousins used to do for the family. They are all grown up with children of their own and the still talk about their shows. And now enjoy their children's shows. You and David are good parents, Heather.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Monica,
If and when I ever have my own children, I'm taking cool mama tips from you :) :) What a fun evening ;) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of CAlifornia, Heather :) :) :)

Mrs. K said...

My boys love to put on shows, even my 11 year old! So fun!

Christy said...

Aw what a sweet idea :) I'm sure this made your kids feel extra special!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Karen - Timeline song is from www.classicalconversations.com :)

*carrie* said...

Love it!