Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Apple Picking Picnic


I do not think it is an exaggeration to say that I have been looking forward to going apple picking since the very day we got home from picking last time. I just *love* going! And, the whole experience!

This year, we went with my friend Melissa and her daughter Jane, I was in charge of lunch right when we would be arriving and wanted to make it cute and fun ~ memorable!

I scoured Pinterest and the web for apple picking party ideas and came up with a few things - and some of the ideas were just based on what I had at home already and wanted to incorporate!


Aren't these plates cute? The inspiration came from here, but I did not want to buy lots of foam and wanted to use what I had - so I just laminated construction paper and glued it on. Worked perfect! Red plates and polka dot napkins were from Target.



Apple juice was served in canning jars with cute straws! I made little tags with an apple shaped cookie cutter and construction paper and bakers twine!


You know how I love banners and garlands! I had envisioned this one standing between two apples - but it was too heavy - that's ok! It looks cute on the table too!



Apple Cider Donuts made fresh at the orchard, ready and waiting for our dessert!






Burlap and ticking fabric covers a picnic table, a thrifted thermos holds a few blooms from our yard, can you see the bounty of apples in the trees?


Look at this neat apple jar my Mom gave me years ago!





Menu:
Homemade Bread
Mozzarella Cheese cut with mini apple cutter
Apples!
Apple Chips
Crackers
Chips
Apple Cider Donuts

Picking photos coming Thursday! :)


13 comments:

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

I love it. All the sweet details. The thermos. The jars with the lids (did you do the lids yourself, drilling the hole?) and that galvanized tier-stand. Too neat.

You did a beautiful job.

I could almost smell the apples wafting through the air. ;)

~Bevy
Enjoy your week.

Lauren (in Savannah) said...

Monica,

Your blog is always a balm to me. Our family has had some very hard, stressful times and I know I can always count on something refreshing and calming from reading your posts. Thank you.....

Anonymous said...

It is lovely. Very Sweet.

Julian said...

Oh wow! Monica,you are so talented! I LOVE everything! The old thermos,the ticking,plates,jar drinking cups, the two level thing to put food in. Ive been a follower for years,and although my kids range in highschool age to third grade,i still use the party ideas. Making times special,even at that age. I wanted to comment on your post with the life beautiful magazine,but my computer had issues. This inspires me to create! Thankyou so much for sharing! Ill be needing a prairie picnic party idea soon! Lol. Christina

Wendi said...

Adorable! I am off to the orchard on Thursday. I will be joining Megan's class on a field trip. One of my favorite things about fall!

Enjoy your Tuesday!

Emily Fay said...

Your ideas are so cute! Each photo was a joy to look at! Have a blessed week ahead~

Julie said...

Just adorable!!

Elise said...

So adorable as usual!!! We went picking this weekend and I plan on making applesauce using your recipe from a few years back-yummy!!!
Hope you have a Happy Tuesday!!
Elise

*carrie* said...

Super super super cute. I declare you come up with the loveliest touches! Wish we could've join you.

What's the story of the apple chips--did you make them? They look delish!

Anonymous said...

Oh so cute, Monica! You always make things look so pretty and fun!
The old apple-shaped applebutter jar brought back memories for me.
I remember when my mother bought applebutter in jars like that! Hmmm....maybe that's where that one came from!
I took some of my friends to the Louisburg cider mill on Labor Day, but we didn't have near as much fun as you did. I remember taking you & Carrie there when you were little girls!
I love you, Grandma

angie said...

On Sat. we went to an apple festival. It was a last minute decision. When we got there and realized that there were picnic tables lined up in front of where a bluegrass band was playing, I wished that I had planned a picnic. Instead, we bought a half-gallon of fresh apple cider, found some cups (funny story) and shared it between us.
I love everything about your picnic, especially the fact that you already had most of these items at home. Is the garland made of paper or fabric? Do you plan to use it in your home decor, too?

Mom said...

CUTE as usual! :) I love how you use what you have to create something so special and memorable! Thanks for sharing the photos -- so glad you had fun. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

adorable and so inspiring! I love apple season... I have 13 boxes waiting to be sauced ♥ picking your own is such a treat.