Monday, May 14, 2012

Birthday Picnic!

 


I love that the girls dance recital is always the first Friday of May because it means my parents get to be here for my Birthday as well! :) My Mom sweetly asked what I would like to do for my Birthday and I knew I wanted to do a red, white and blue themed picnic!

For me, the planning, fluffing and executing of these things is FUN and a gift in and of itself!


I had really wanted to have it outside, but it was quite hot and we'd had a busy day - so on the porch seemed a good compromise (and fans were available!)

I hung a quilt on the wires that hold the porch curtains - if we'd eaten outside, this would've been hung on the clothesline - but the same effect was accomplished either way.

My Dad grilled out hamburgers - he makes the BEST hamburgers! YUM!

And, my Mom did all the rest - bless her heart. She is one who loves to simplify and this kind of thing definitely doesn't qualify. She must really love me!

We also had watermelon, corn on the cob, baked beans and french fries!

  

Cute little hamburger trays, fries cups and straws came from Garnish. And, were purchased with birthday money for myself! Poke around on their site, ezine and blog for some great inspiration!

 

Looking at these pictures makes me happy!
Everything tasted so yummy and was pretty too!

Tomorrow I'll be sharing what we did for dessert!

7 comments:

Wendi said...

Oh, how fun! I am planning something like that for the 4th of July. I am giddy just thinking about it!

Sounds like mom is a good sport! :) Enjoy your day!

Mom said...

Yes, I do really love you!! :) These are great photos of your birthday picnic -- glad we could be there to share it! Love, Mom

asnipofgoodness said...

EVERYTHING looks so pretty Monica, if you weren't so devoted to your family I would tag you as the next Martha! You have a very fortunate family! I especially LOVE that centerpiece with the watermelon, so very cute! I think your specialty is rustic charm. Thanks so much for sharing your birthday celebration, and Happy Birthday by the way.

*carrie* said...

Very festive! Wish we could have been there, too.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and creative, Monica.
Food looks yummy too! Wish I could have been there also. So glad you enjoyed your birthday celebration.

Love you, Grandma

angie said...

A true testimony to your devotion to presentation and beuty: spending your birthday money on tableware for this adorable picnic. The items that you already had (eg bandanas, galvanized serving tray, enamelware) completed the table setting. I may take inspiration from this for my son's 13th birthday celebration. Since he is a complete foodie, it will revolve around the menu!

Crystal said...

Love, love, love it. The pictures are great.