Friday, March 23, 2012

Returning to Quiet


I was so privileged {and it was an answer to prayer} to be seen by a godly physician who knows and loves God and is a friend to our family. He knew about our Quiet Time habit here every afternoon. And, he asked how that was going.

I had to admit that I've been very lax about enforcing Quiet Time lately to which he responded that he would re-instate that immediately. He encouraged me in not only how I needed it but how children needed it. And, at least twenty minutes every day in our home we all need to be still. Be quiet.

Job 6:24, "Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong."

The call to quiet is one that I am eager to answer. It is something I've defended long and hard in the past, why was I so quick to abandon it? I can assure you the results were definitely not worth it and I will defend quiet again effective immediately.


Returning to quiet, re-establishing the edges in our home and schedule, remembering why these things are so important to both my body and spirit. These are the things I'm focusing right now.

I'm thinking of some fun things for me {I'm usually very good at planning fun things for the littles}:

* get my hair cut
* enjoy a new magazine
* take a walk
* make something
* try a new recipe
* take pictures
* reflect on God's Word
* read a book

These will definitely not all happen in one day or likely even in one week. But I want to purpose to add some of these in when I can - they will relax, refresh, renew in their own ways.

Psalm 23:2, "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters."


I thought about taking time off from this space and am always willing to do so. But, He reminds that this refreshes me, keeps me open and honest, is such a gift - an investment in the future for my children and myself.

Have you been pushing the edges lately? How are you pursuing quiet?

1 Thessalonians 4:11, "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life,
to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you ..."

Photos: Hydrangea blooms I gifted to myself at the grocery store recently and a visible picture of the journey to the Cross.

10 comments:

LynnMarie said...

I find peace in a long hot bubble bath with candles as my only light and soft music. No one to bug me or ask me anything- I can feel the tension leave my body. Such a blessing!

Wendi said...

This seems to be a constant quest for me. I try to have Megan do something quiet for at least 15 minutes each day after lunch. When it works out I find that just that little bit of time does so much for refreshing me.

I also made a goal to do one thing for me a month. Like haircut, craft etc. Still working on that goal!

Mom said...

Ar first I wanted to shout and cheer at the idea of quiet time and this lovely post -- but that doesn't seem an appropriately quiet response. :) So I'll whisper my appreciation for this gentle reminder of how quiet refreshes and restores. Dad and I have not had much quiet at all these past few weeks of caring for Nathan and Natalie, as you can imagine! We are needing and looking forward to some quiet time soon. Press on in your pursuit and defense of quiet! :) Love and miss you, Mom

Debra said...

I am a fan of quiet time too. It's harder now that my daughter is in school and my 'old' quiet time was in the afternoon and that's usually homework time but we still do it on weekends for her and I do it for myself in the mornings before anyone gets up. I can see a difference in all of our attitudes if we miss a day. :)

sandi s said...

When my children were young they laid down for 1 hour a day and that was my time for a book, sewing or a quick nap. Now I still like a nap in the afternoon some days. I do treat myself to flowers from the grocery and my hair done or even a pedicure once in a while. I think we have to be kind to ourselves and then we can take care of others. I really enjoy your blog.

Mrs. K said...

Oh wow, we have quiet time for about 3 hours every day. My 10, 8, and 5 year olds read in their bed (and if they've exercised every day for at least 1/2 an hour, on Fridays they get to play their DS for a short time). I typically read, rest, catch up on blogs {ahem, which is why I'm here now [smile]}, plan for the next week's school, clip coupons, etc. But I rarely leave the couch during this time and they aren't allowed to get up for any reason other than to go potty (ONE time, lol).

Mary Ann said...

I can so relate to this, Monica! I just find that I do so much better when I have a bit of quiet in my day. In reworking our daily routine at the beginning of the year, I began allowing a 30 minute block for rest for me every afternoon after the littles were down for naps and dishes were washed. I have had to adjust the baby's morning nap a bit so that both go down in the afternoon at about the same time but it has been worth it! It hasn't happened quite every day but has made a world of difference in my energy level the rest of the day when I am able. And I do not feel one bit lazy! Not sure if I'll be able to continue this through the summer when Big Brother is here but am trying to think of ways that we can all experience a little quiet even in a small house with babies sleeping in both bedrooms.

I really like the idea of making a small list of things to do for yourself that are relaxing--need to think about that as well!Like what Wendi said about one thing a month--that sounds like it would be doable.

What a blessing your doctor must be to your family to encourage you in this way!

Susan said...

Thank you for the inspiration. Quiet time is exactly what I need to do everyday. Thank you so much for this post! You are awesome!

Sarah said...

how do you plan on getting your children "re-used" to taking a quiet time? mine sort of got out of the habit once my 3 yr. old (middle child-a son) decided he was past naps-AND he wasn't falling asleep til late at night if he took a nap.) my oldest is 5 and she would take a rest time, but baby naps in her room. How do you work that out in your own home?

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I can relate!!! Having a regular quiet time makes a huge difference in my day..HUGE!!!

I'm so glad that you have a physician who's also a believer. That's a gift!!!!

OH, those hydrangeas are lovely!!! I'm glad that you can enjoy those!!!