Monday, March 26, 2012

Mason Jar Pendant Light


Once upon a time there was a light fixture in my house that I did not like. My family and I lived in that house for over eight years and I never had a good inspiration on what to do with that thing. I sporadically looked for a replacement and came up empty.

Exhibit A: Hideous Light


Exhibit B: Hideous light turned on.


Then, one night when I could not sleep because my mind was abuzz with inspiration, the idea came to see if I could just take off the glass bowl thingy that was on there and see if a canning jar would fit instead.

At first it did not because it had the traditional kind of light bulb in it, but when replaced with a CFL bulb - it fit! David had all of that switched out in just a few short minutes! A quick brush with some black paint and voila - I love the new light! It took only a short time and was a quick fix with all things we already had on hand! LOVE that!

I thought of making a little cord/chain cover - which I may do at some point, but for now I'm really pleased with how it looks.

I certainly cannot take credit for the mason jar light idea - it has been all over the web and Pinterest, though I did not have a picture of another light in mind when this came to mind and did not reference any tutorial or anything to make this one.

Now I have a fun new light that I will be looking for reasons to turn on and use! And, we lived happily ever after. The End.

13 comments:

LynnMarie said...

Love it! Well done!

Melissa said...

Cute! Just like you...

Wendi said...

I love anything with a Mason jar! It looks great and I love that you didn't have to spend anything!

Katy said...

It looks GREAT!!!!

angie said...

Amazing that the light fixture and a mason jar have the same dimensions and threads! I bet something like that would retail for quite a bit!
I have several brass light fixtures in my foyer and upstairs hallway that I have bemoaned for 5 years. But I don't think this idea would work for any of the existing fixtures, since they are mounted to the ceiling, not suspended. I may consider switching out the fixtures to be able to duplicate this look.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Angie,

The threads aren't even necessary - as this is the kind of light held in place by three screws tightening it to the base! That is the only way I was able to use the wire top canning jar as opposed to the threaded one.

Patty Williams said...

I love blue Mason jars! Love this too -- so many unique ways to use them. I've been thinking about putting a pump dispenser in one to use for hand soap or dish soap--

But I hate to use my jars! I only have a few blue ones and I cherish them!

The light looks fabulous!

Carrie said...

Hahaha! I got a kick out of this post. I have a serious dislike of certain light fixtures. They really set a mood, I think, and so I like them to match a house and family. Seems like your new light is a perfect fit! (And, yes, will help with that Happily Ever After part. ;) ha!!)

Thanks for the grin this morning!

Bonnie said...

I've been planning on doing this to our dining room light fixture, since I know the jars fit, I just haven't worked up the nerve to paint it yet. (And I don't know why, flat white and brass 1990's awfulness should be covered up ASAP) What kind of paint did you use for the brass part? I'm thinking of brushed bronze spray paint, I just have to rig up a covering for the ceiling and table.

Elise said...

Love it, Monica!!! How awesome that you could use your existing light fixture, too.
Elise

The Caffeinated Librarian said...

Looks great! I've been thinking of doing something like this in my kitchen.

Shelby said...

Love this maybe for my laundry room.

Countrywoman said...

that is so cool