Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hands and Edges


Late last week, I woke one day with very swollen fingers and then toes. I've been to the dr. and everything is fine - but I want to share some of what I learned in the process of swelling for three days.

First of all, I realized how I take my hands for granted. I expect so much out of them and they tirelessly work for me in so many ways. I took for granted the fine motor control of detailed things and realized how even picking something up exercises the muscles in my hands.


Small things felt like huge successes. Like fixing dinner, opening cans, even tearing open a package or buttoning pants. It has given me such a new appreciation for those with arthritis or weakened strength in ones hands.

I also realized how staying positive and cheerful when my body is in pain is difficult. It allowed me to rely so much on the Lord for just getting basic things done and maintaining a sweet spirit in my home.


I missed wearing my wedding ring. And, when I was able to slip it back on - I was so happy and it felt right at home on my finger. I've taken that for granted as well!

God brought to mind to rejoice even in this and I did. I rejoiced for all the little successes, I rejoiced for the opportunity to rely on Him more.


I've noticed something else lately and it has to do with edges. I notice that around the edges of our home is where piles accumulate. Around the edges of our schedule is where things creep in and over-fill.

Edges can be so helpful and healthy and I have been pushing the edges lately. This is very likely at least one of the big contributing factors to my swollen hands and it definitely slowed me down.


When the edges in our home are crowded, it adds stress to my heart and mind. When the edges in our schedule are crowded, it does the same.

I love these verses that fit with the above themes:

Isaiah 35:3, "Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way."

Proverbs 14:1, "The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands
the foolish one tears hers down."


Psalm 90:17, "May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us - yes, establish the work of our hands."

Leviticus 23:22, "When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the Lord your God."

Psalm 16:6, "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places,
surely I have a delightful inheritance."

To be continued tomorrow ....

Photos: Beauty at a recent bridal shower I attended!

5 comments:

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

You are touching a part of me - my heart- where I KNOW this is something I need to hear, because I too have been 'pushing' the edges. THe limit.

Love all these verses.

Susan said...

What a beautiful post. One that I appreciate very much. I've learned as I've gotten older, the limits of my physical abilities. The spirit is willing but the body says, "are you kidding?" I didn't appreciate being young till I got old. To bad, and I understand the saying, "Youth is wasted on the young". Here's to hoping your hands stay young a very long time!

Karen said...

Your post resonated with me today-I, too, have been experiencing swollen hands and feet, and the pain and lack of dexterity that comes with that.

I appreciated the verses you shared today. It is hard to stay positive when you are in pain and can't accomplish the things you intended to do but I have also learned to rejoice and be grateful for the days when I do feel better.

Your comments about the "edges" is a great reminder, too. Margin is so hard to maintain-so many things continually try to crowd into our lives...always *good* things, of course, or we wouldn't allow them in, right?

Looking forward to part two!

asnipofgoodness said...

So needed to be reminded today to rejoice in it all. God is so very kind in slowing us down when we need to listen.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I'm glad that the swelling in your fingers has gone down. I enjoyed reading your post today and I'm looking foward to the second part!! Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)