Thursday, February 23, 2012

Extending Grace: Hospitality


Last week was filled with hospitality opportunities for us. Some were planned and some were spontaneous and I found myself feeling so grateful for the opportunity and privilege of serving others in this way.

Some were very good friends, some we don't know as well - but all were an extension of grace really both ways. I hope it was an extension of grace to those who were in our home, but it was also an extension of grace to us.

I struggled a little this week because we were so busy and our house just wasn't as tidy as I would have liked for having company - but God and our company extended grace and no one seemed to mind (besides me!)

A new mom and her little ones were served a Valentine lunch, dear friends were served leftovers and much-adored teen ladies from our church were served a tea party. In some cases, I did a lot of planning and in some cases it was last minute.

To me, it was an extension of grace even back to our home to see others enjoying their time in our home or seeing their burden lifted for a few moments of someone new to play with and one less meal to prepare. To linger around the table with young friends and be so appreciative of their influence on our younger ladies - to think they are actually willing to sit and chat with me and our children!

I have poured out all week, and while I'm tired, I feel full inside experiencing the amazing way that pouring out fills up {chew on that one for a while!}

Meanwhile, one of the days I had no idea what I was going to serve for lunch and came up with this yummy soup out of what we had on hand - it was delicious and I want to remember how I did it!


Creamy Potato Soup

Melt 1 stick butter in a large pan {I used a dutch oven} and add chopped onion to taste - I probably used about 1/2 cup or a little more. Saute onion until soft {or call your Dad while this is sauteing and let the butter brown a little!}

Stir in 1/2 cup flour and salt and pepper to taste. Add about 2 cups ham stock {I had made this after Easter last year and put it in the freezer, but I haven't really known what to use it for.}

Add about 2 c. milk {I did not measure but just poured some in and am guessing it was around 2 c.} Add diced red potatoes with skins on and peeled, chopped carrot. Soup will really thicken here.

Let cook until potatoes are starting to get soft. Use a potato masher to break up some of the potatoes. Add diced ham - about 1 c.

Reduce heat to low and just keep warm until ready to serve, stir in 1 c. heavy whipping cream.

Serve with Bacon Scones - delish! And, I love this quote!

5 comments:

Ginger said...

sounds wonderful---I will try it

Wendi said...

Your soup looks wonderful!

Melissa said...

Soup look and sounds delish! You always know how to make people feel special in your home. :)

angie said...

I love the Ann Frank quote.
I don't entertain very often, but find that the spontaneous gatherings are the best. I haven't fretted over preparing the perfect meal or home and the guest doesn't feel as if they have caused you to go out of your way.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Beautiful post and recipe, Monica. A friend made me cheddar cheese bacon biscuits once...so yummy, because they were fresh out of the oven :) :) I think hospitality is an attitude, and not just a nice home ;) :) You made people feel welcome and that counts for a whole LOT :) :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)