Monday, January 23, 2012

Rooms Updated!

The girls got a new bed for Christmas - a bunk bed! As David and I talked about the idea we knew that we could not really give the girls each their own room in our home, but we could give them their own space and a space that suits them more as they are growing.

David wasn't thrilled with the ladders on bunk beds {for safety} and I was nearly insistent on a twin over full as the full bed has been our guest bed as well. More storage is always a plus too and this bed fit all the details. We saved up our money and were happy to surprise the girls for Christmas!

They were very surprised and then we had fun waiting for the bed to arrive! Nothing else in their room is new - I had fun using what we already had as we rearranged!

And, since the box spring from the twin bed was now unused - we were able to fix Samuel's room up a little bit too! I had intended originally to paint the head and foot board for his room that I found at the Habitat ReStore - but I just loved the color and decided to try and make it work - now I love the contrast of turquoise with the chocolate and red! The only thing we had to buy for Samuel's room was a mattress for his bed! {In the photos, there is no mattress yet - though we've got it settled now!}

We still want to replace the blinds in his room and have a chandelier {free to us} for the girls room - but I'm so pleased with the progress and they are enjoying their new digs!

21 comments:

Shelby said...

LOVE their new rooms Monica. We got bunkbeds for our girls too, very similar to yours and i love them:) The only thing that I have a hard time with is making the top bunk:(. I love Samuals room too, it turned out really nice and yay for the bed find:) Love that color.

Unknown said...

Your girls room is simply adorable! I've never seen such a bunkbed before. It's a much prettier style than a regular one.

Wendi said...

The rooms looks great! I agree that the ladders are scary... love the stair/drawer idea.

Kathy said...

oh the girls' room looks beautiful! I love the little steps to the top bunk!

Love Samuel's room too!

Sherie Rowe said...

How super cute! We got Bek a new bed for her birthday, but I have not been able to redo the room as yet, soon though! VERY SOON! I love how bright and sunny it is!

angie said...

Have the girls decided who gets top bunk, or do they rotate beds? That arrangement gives them so much floor space to play in, too. I love your use of things you already had to freshen up the look of the bedrooms.

LynnMarie said...

Really nice job Monica. You have a nice eye for color.

Jen said...

Beautiful!!

HeatherMavis said...

That little staircase is sweet as can be. Your daughter must look forward to going to bed AND getting up just so she can use down HER stairs.
I know what you mean about making the beds. We have two sets of bunk beds. Someone should design bedding especially for top bunks.

*carrie* said...

As I've already said, these rooms look fabulous! Glad all the kids are enjoying them.

asnipofgoodness said...

So nice Monica, I know those girls are loving that bed! And, Samuel's bed, what a find, I love the color too! Are you going to paint his room??

Mom said...

Love how it all turned out! :)
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Cool Beans!

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Monica,

Where did you purchase the "car rug" for playing cars?

I am looking for one for my 3-year old.

Target has one, but it is $30 -- a little pricey for my budget.

Thanks.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Monica,
Your kids rooms look GREAT!!! That bunkbead is fantastic and the stairs up to the top bunk are really nice. most bunk beds I see don't have anything nearly that sturdy..and it has storage, to. That's great ;) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Anonymous said...

Love how the rooms turned out.
I'm sure the girls love their new bunk beds.
Samuel's room turned out cute, too. I'll bet he loves his "Big boy bed". What a find! I too love the colors.
Congrats on a great job redecorating.

Love you, Grandma

Brenda said...

Those bunk beds are great!! Both rooms look nice!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Anonymous: the rug was actually a major score from our church e-mail list. I sent out a message before Christmas that I was looking for one to purchase at a reasonable price and a lady in our church contacted me and said she wanted to give me for free! I found one at KMart years ago for around $15 and I've even seen a few at thrift stores - hope you'll find a great deal!

Brandy said...

Love the rooms. I saw the little strawberry shortcake girls up. My daughter has colored and cut them out and made "paper dolls" by gluing them on cereal boxes. We have a similar (if not the same) collection!

Beth said...

I love those bunk beds! Where did you find them? We will need some for our two girls very soon and I really like the style of the ones you picked out.

Meredith A. said...

Yes, where did you find that bunkbed!? So great!