Friday, January 13, 2012

{Organize} My Closet

I struggle with keeping my closet tidy. For one thing, it is pretty big {a blessing!} and I think that makes me lax about keeping up on it or just tossing something in it. Secondly, it has to hold a lot of miscy {Carrie invented this word!} things that won't fit anywhere else.

It got especially bad in December because it was sort of Christmas-central in there. Anything that needed to go to our Christmas House and any boxes that arrived were just stashed in there. Ahem.

Here's the awful before:


Here's what I did:
* set the timer on my cell phone for 35 minutes
* toss out any trash
* take out anything that does not belong
* straighten shoes
* tidy shelves
* clear doorknobs

Step Two:
* set the timer for 20 minutes
* purge
* file
* organize

Step Three:
* set the timer for 5 minutes
* clean up
* shred
* collect trash

Total: 1 hour

End Result:

Successes like these that I've had this week are so motivating to me - when I see a clean space it makes me want to do more organizing and keeping things nice! Hope you got some organizing done this week as well!

I have a giveaway later today and it ties in with organizing!

8 comments:

Grace said...

Ahhhhh, very nice!!

bretswife1 said...

Looks great. I love the big book shelf in there too!

Christy Stanton said...

Love the feeling I have when I clean out and it's so clean, organized and pretty!;) Your closet looks great!

Mom said...

Great job, and great method for getting it done! :) Love you, Mom

angie said...

Such a productive hour! I have on my to-do list swapping out books on my kids' bookshelves. I want to clear out most of the picture books and replace with chapter books from my classroom library. This has been on my revolving to-do list for 3 weeks! I am going to do the same tomorrow--set the timer for 1 hour. I think it was a very good idea to break up that hour into 3 distinct chunks.

Michele said...

I love using the timer when a have to tackle a project that overwhelms me. One can do much in a twenty minute spree.

Joy said...

It looks very good! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose closet was a mess over Christmas! I've started the clean up but it could still use another round!

*carrie* said...

Mmm, hmm. Miscy is just the best way to say it! =)

Wish I could've helped you with this, and then you could come my way. I've been sorting lots of things while I'm feeling up to it and motivated!