Monday, January 30, 2012

Football Party

Samuel's birthday is tomorrow, but we celebrated on Saturday! It was a Football/Tailgate theme! So fun and easy since I shopped our house for most of the party props. David has access to a local high school so he borrowed a football, some gear, reffing attire!

We decided quite a while ago to do a Football theme as it is something Samuel has really seemed to have an interest in. But, I struggled with which direction to go with the party until I saw this.
Link
I'm sure my family would've preferred Clemson colors! But, I don't have much that is orange and purple - ahem. What awful colors to pair together! So, I just chose colors that went with what I had and could use for a fun party. Plaids and vintage coolers/crates worked perfectly to create some tailgate fun.

I didn't do hardly anything to work ahead on this party like I typically do - I guess just coming off of Christmas it took me more time to get into this one. But, I was still pleased with how things came together! I stayed up late the night before to make the pennant garland and it turned out to be one of my favorite things. {It's now hanging over one of his windows!}


Several months ago, David came home from his mom's house with a box of old trophies of his and I immediately snagged three football trophies to use for this party!

Football paper cups were found at Dollar Tree! Popcorn, Peanuts and Chocolate milk {in the plaid thermoses} were served here. The only things I bought for this entire area were the cups, food and felt for the garland. The twill tape that the garland is sewn to was tied around the quilt I had bought for Samuel's room!


I found these fun favor bags at Michael's for $1. Contents were simple: coloring pages, some chocolate "footballs" and two ornaments snagged for 0.30/box on the after-Christmas clearance!


The girls and I painted this big paper banner {oh, cheerleading days - I had fun revisiting you this weekend!} for the boys to run through. For the record: Samuel hated this idea, he was in tears over running through the paper. Oh well, it sounded like a fun idea!

Our girls had fun putting on their thrifted cheerleading outfits! Go Samuel!!!!

Now, for the food: Samuel snuggled up to me one Sunday afternoon while I was perusing Pinterest for food ideas. So, this menu was entirely of his choosing (ok, I added the carrots!)


Football Juice Boxes inspired by this.

Great food inspiration here!
Mini hot dog recipe here.
I wanted to make these, but probably not great for 4-year-old boys so I'll try it some other time!
Samuel specifically requested, "football shaped brownies!"

David made goal posts from some scrap wood and painted stripes in our yard for a mini-field!


I think everyone had fun!


Oh, here are the invitations:


Let's see if I can figure out my cost for this party, I'm just guess-timating in my head here:

Paper goods (plates, napkins, cups): $15
Craft supplies (paper, felt): $7
Food: $30
Favors: $6.50
Total: $58.50

Happy Birthday, Samuel!

22 comments:

Leanne said...

I LOVE this football themed boy party! my boys would LOVE it! I have to tuck this away for future reference:) so neat!

Lisa said...

Looks like great fun!!! I really enjoyed this post and all the photos... You do such an AWESOME job of celebrating special days for your family. :-) I bet Samuel was so blessed!

Shelby said...

OK you did an absolute fabulous job with what you had girl:) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea. It looks like everyone had a blast too. Way to go Monica.

Wendi said...

Another cute party! Way to go... I love it!

Happy Birthday, Samuel!

Katy said...

Such fun! As always, Monica, I love your creative ideas...and most of all...the heart and love you put into the things you do for your children to make all times special. Beautiful memories you are making with them! :)

LynnMarie said...

Very cute for a little boy's party. Well done and looks like a lot of fun.

Flyonthewall said...

Oh, Monica, you are the greatest mom! I wish I had thought of this when my boys were young! And, Dad, what a great "sport" to participate so heartily in the day's activities! Looks like another wonderful memory made for your children! Thanks for this creative inspiration!

angie said...

When I saw the tailgate picture on FB, I was captivated. Your use of plaids and vintage thermoses was so inviting. I think this could be the front cover of a LL Bean catalog!
Once again, your using supplies that you already had on hand was perfect. It must reflect that you only have in your home things that matter to you.
I would like to make a "welcome home" banner in that style for our family. Can you tell me how you attached the pennants to the twill? And, are the letters hand stitched to the pennants?
Happy 4th Birthday, Samuel!

Jessica said...

Probably the cutest party I have ever seen! Too bad I only have a girl. :)

Elise said...

How cute is that party!! I had pinned the original party and love your's, as well!! I am going to copy your garland, so cute!!
Elise

asnipofgoodness said...

Great job Monica! Everything looks terrific, and you snapped some terrific pics to capture the memories! Everyone looks like they had a great time. So funny he didn't want to run through the paper sign, cute memory :)

Stephanie said...

How is your little guy 4 already? I love this simple football theme and will pin this for reference when my boy (who's only 1) is a bit bigger. : )

Happy Birthday!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Monica,
Wow...what a fun party. This is really COOL :) :) Happy Birthday to your Samuel, too :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday Samuel!
Your party looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh so cute, Monica.
I know Samuel loved it (all but running through the paper banner!)
Great job, once again. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Happy Birthday dear Samuel.

Love you, Grandma/Nana

Mrs. K said...

I can't believe he's 4 already either - I started reading when you were pregnant with him! So fun - I had seen you were pinning ideas for a party and knew you were up to something fabulous...inspired me to start pins for future birthday parties - can't believe all the ideas out there!

Julie said...

Fantastic party! Love how you pulled it all together. It all looks great... and the happy smiles are a perfect finishing touch :)

~katie~ said...

Happy Birthday to a sweet boy with a most creative and thoughtful mama!! What fun....loved all the photos.

Blessings to your whole family,
Katie

Anonymous said...

hi monica....this is too awesome! i just loved everything about it, especially the vintage thermoses. what a lucky little boy!!
connie

Susan said...

What fun! Great job Mom!

Melissa said...

Love your ponytails! The invitations are adorable, and I love how everything looks so authentic! Great job on the back of your car - wow!

Mom said...

Awesome -- another great party!! Thanks for sharing these photos -- wish we could have been there to share in the fun. :) Love you, Mom