Friday, January 06, 2012

Embellishing January


As I mentioned the other day, January can be a tricky time of year to decorate - for me at least. We don't have snow, so snow related items seem out of place. Not only that, we are coming off the decorating-high of December and if you are like me, we are seeking a simplified feeling. Fresh, organized, minimal.

But, nothing? Not sure that works either. I love to add things seasonally to freshen my home. And, I'm not even all that sure what I've done in January past but for this year - this is what is working for me.

Cream, twine, simple, fresh, organic. Those are thoughts that come when I think of January right now. Plus, the desire is fresh to use what I have and enjoy making it pretty again. I did buy the flower bulbs, but everything else was already on hand.

I pondered planting the four bulbs together in one container and then realized I'd love the flexibility of spreading them out throughout the house if I decided I wanted to. But, I'd also love to group them together possibly. These simple {yet beautiful in their simplicity and humility} cans and pears can work together to provide a few decorating options for January.

Grouped together on the table or one here and there as an accent!


Communicating hopes for the new year:


Take one can along on a picnic!
Deliver one can to a neighbor or your church secretary!
Take one to work to brighten your desk!

Choose music that inspires or speaks to you right now. Choose words for tags that will inject beauty and hope into your mind in small doses. {Print out free sheet music here.}


How about pinecones? Just remove any greenery that made it feel Christmas-y and twist a few curls of sheet music if you want:


More sheet music!


Beeswax candles and old silver and spoons. Simple things that are just part of home ~

Wanting something new for the front door, I considered purchasing a letter at the craft store to wrap in twine. But, when I could not find what I wanted and was feeling that inner tug to use what I had - I cut this initial out of our take-out pizza box, wrapped in twine and embellished. It seems a tad floppy - so I may end up reinforcing the back with sticks or popsicle sticks or something - but for now, I love it.

Bottom line: I spent a total of $2.50 for the paper white bulbs and everything else was just around or in the recycling bin. And, I'm loving it!

Little embellishments can make for a beautiful simplicity that we can tend to crave this time of year. Look around and see what you already have that can fill your need to create and bring some simple beauty into your home this month.

Isaiah 43:19, "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

Do you do any January decorating?

14 comments:

Grace said...

I am so going to do the letter!! I have extra cardboard right now. where did you get your old hymnal? I love the coloring of the pages.

peggy said...

I just printed one of the music. The color is beautiful. Thank you!

Mom said...

More loveliness! Thanks for sharing -- love you, Mom

asnipofgoodness said...

So very pretty Monica, I love everything you did!
Your comment about snow reminded me that in Cancun (recent anniversary trip) they had several snowmen sitting around for Christmas decorations at the hotel. I found that kinda commical:)!

~katie~ said...

January really needs a little inspiration, being sandwiched between Christmasy December and Valentine-filled February! You've done a marvelous job doing just that ~ thanks for sharing these gorgeous creations!!! What a blessing to your family and those lives you touch (including through your blog).

Have a great weekend!
Katie

Michele said...

I bought some twine and sisal rope just yesterday. After seeing your pears I was inspired to cover. I'm thinking of covering my clay pots since the clay color isn't me.

angie said...

I love the idea of the cardboard letter. And using what you have on hand. Did you print out the sheet music or do you have an old hymnal?
I still have the greenery up, but am craving some simplicity, too.
I received some antiques for Christmas, and need to find places for them. A metal globe, a kitchen scale, and 2 yardsticks from former businesses in my hometown. Hmmm....

Lauren(in Savannah) said...

Love the sheet music! How did you get it to look like old music with a yellowish tinge? While I also live in the South I love snowflakes so I found some clearish sparkly ones at dollar tree and also had my kids make some and we have some hanging up on a twine clothesline we have in our living room. I guessing I am just wishing for a few real flakes to fall :o)

Shelby said...

Love it:) Love the initial for the front door. I am going to have to attempt that:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica,
Love the sheet music idea!
It looks romantic whatever you do with it!
Keep well this January and bless you for your inspirations.
XX Alex LS

LynnMarie said...

I tend to leave our snow man items up for winter but this year so far we have not had any snow. still, it't New England so snow willo find us. Great ideas!

tina said...

Such a cool idea with the music sheets! I am going to try that! Thanks!

Mary Ann said...

Well, I still have my Christmas decorations up!:-) But I did get a paperwhite to grow and I usually just enjoy the freshness of clearer spaces in January (once Christmas is packed away--LOL!!)We'll probably make some paper snowflakes too just because it is winter and it's fun for the littles!

Love the letter. Good idea to use cardboard!

Unknown said...

The twine wrapped letter is so unique and beautiful!