Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Homespun Candle Gift Idea

I loved this cute candle holder idea I saw in the most recent issue of Country Living! And, at first I planned to buy little votive holders and make them like this - but I already had everything else so decided to see if I could make the idea work without spending anything.

Bet you can't guess what I used? {HA!} The one thing I always have in abundance: canning jars! Here's how mine turned out ~

I didn't use their time consuming directions - just cut and hot glued! The webbing is inexpensive and came from Wal-Mart. And, the candle holders that fit in the top of canning jars are sporadically on sale for 3/$1 at Michael's. Mine is the small one {a jelly jar size} and you can see that the webbing wraps underneath. The others are pint size canning jars and the webbing fits perfectly!

Of course, once I saw how cute the first one was - I ran to my cabinet to get more jars! And, then I thought these would make a cute gift for our AWANA teachers. I attached a tag that says, "Thank you for investing the light of His Word into the little hearts of our children. Merry Christmas!"

It took me less than 20 minutes to make four {one is for me to keep!} of these and add the tags! And, I used only things I already had ~ love that!

Are you making any gifts by hand this year?

10 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Cute! I bought a few pieces of that webbing at a yard sale recently. Love it!

I've been making a few gifts; not as many as some years and super easy and practical! Can't share what they are until after Christmas--most of our immediate families read my blog now and my sister reads yours.:-)

Shelby said...

Fabulous idea Monica. You have such a knack for making something out of things you already have. I got some teacher gifts yesterday with some coupons I had. Maybe I will make the presentation extra special if that counts:)
Shelby

Wendi said...

Cute! I cut back on homemade gifts this year. Just due to time issues. I have already started collecting ideas to make through out the year for next Christmas. I am certainly saving this idea!

Michele said...

I've been looking for this webbing at our local walmart for two months! If I can ever find it there again, I'm going to buy a very large stash!

Unknown said...

These turned out really cute! I'm sure their teachers will really like them.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Those are super cute candles :) :) Even better, that you made super cute gifts using stuff that you already had on hand :) :)

Oh, I was actually curious about the beautiful holly berry linen that the candles were sitting on top of :) My grandmother used to use a cotton linen fabric like that a lot. She'd embroider them with lovely designs :) :)

Have a great day. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

angie said...

I LOVED this ideas when I saw it in Country Living. I meant to save the page for future reference, but forgot before recycling it. Thank you for reminding me of it, and offering an option for using materials on hand.
I don't have any of that webbing, however. Can you tell me what dept in Walmart you found yours? If I can find it, I am definately making some of these to add to some teacher, bus driver, church helper, etc gifts.

angie said...

I also wonder if this idea could work with empty glass jars from foods such as jam, salsa, sauce, etc.......
I'm hoping that votives go on sale for 4/$1 at Walgreens again before Christmas to make these even less expensive.

Anonymous said...

Simply wonderful ♥ They would make great gifts!

Melissa said...

Hi Monica, I pinned this on pinterest, it's such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!
Melissa Jackson