Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gift from Little Hands: Wooden Nativity Figures


I recently came across this link and knew I wanted to try and make these little wooden nativity figures with my children.

David ventured out to the shed and I scoured the craft cabinet. All we bought for this were the little buttons for Baby Jesus' head and a few more large wooden beads for the heads. Everything else we had on hand. {Thanks Dad, for the furring strip!}

The littles and I had fun painting these one day. I only gave out one color of paint at a time to help ensure everything turned out the right color. :)

I love that this is really doable for little hands and I think they turned out soooo neat! We're going to gift them on Christmas Eve to all of our visiting family! Plus, we have a set for ourselves and gave one to some special neighbors.

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Love, love, love it:) What a great idea and wonderful gift idea Monica. Love the hat on Rachael, she is too cute.

Anonymous said...

Omy goodness....My hubby helped me make some of these too! When I saw these I knew I wanted to make some for gifts, for neighbor and family members, then one for us too! I want to make a set that is our family after the holidays. If you have any heads left you could make the 6 inch David, the 5 Inch you and two four inches Emily and Rachel then a 3 inch Samuel. The littles did such a great job! I love visiting your blog. Happy Holy'days Monica! Blessings of Peace, Angelia in Tx

Mary Ann said...

So cute! Pinned this for future reference. I know I would like one for me!

angie said...

Oh, I love the simplicity of this nativity representation. Jesus came into this world in lowly circumstances. Since the figures do not have faces, we must use our creativity to fill in the blanks. How must Mary have felt to deliver the "deliverer"? Any other nativity is someone else's interpretation...
I will ask my dad for some wood scraps. This is definately going into our file for next year's projects. Or maybe even next week while the idea is fresh in our head.
Thank you for continuing to present family friendly crafts that focus on the reason for our celebration!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

LOVE THIS :) :) :) So cupte cute. What a great gift, too ;) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Anonymous said...

Monica! Thank you so much for sharing. This Holy Family is absolutely precious. I love the juxtaposition of humble materials and a profound message. I wish you and yours a very blessed Christmas season.

- Michelle from Georgia