Thursday, December 08, 2011

Edible Nativity Craft!

I had pinned this idea on Pinterest a few weeks ago hoping that we would get it made during our Christmas season! The other day, I pulled out all the goodies and we got to work. It requires quite a bit of Mom-help, but it occupied my littles for a full hour and they had a great time tinting the coconut and making sheep and people for the stable. {Incidentally, I have a Pinterest board just for ideas I've already tried if anyone is interested.}

We had a little trouble getting our stables to stay together - but I put them in the freezer to harden the icing and that helped! Because I was so busy helping, I didn't get any pix of the process - but here are some of our results:

Another note: I did not buy all the candies shown in the original idea as I was too cheap. All I bought was coconut, chocolate frosting and gum drops. I had toothpicks, graham crackers and a few candy canes. We drew the sheep faces with food coloring markers - Samuel made his a black sheep :)

The little trays are my empty Christmas card boxes covered with some scrap fabric with hot glue.


Lately, I've been reminded how worthwhile it is to invest in these activities which are memory investments in their childhood and memories. I don't get to everything I wish I did - but each thing I do is one more deposit in their memory bank. As I've been working on editing another blog book, I have been reminded of so many fun and sweet things we've taken time to do. I am very good at being hard on myself for all the things I haven't done - but this December I'm trying to just enjoy the things we do experience together!

Projects like this are largely about the doing and creating and much less about the eating. These have been sitting on my counter mostly untouched (one little gumdrop here and there) for days. And, I'm ok with that - again in the investment of memories!

What deposits will you make in little memory banks this month?

13 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I pinned that recently as well! So cute...your littles did a great job.

Most of the time it's the process that matters and not so much the project, especially for very young ones!

Leanne said...

I always think its such a pain to do the cut-out Christmas cookies...until I see my boys decorate them☺ I had a mini (okay...maybe not so mini!) meltdown last night because December can be SO BUSY!! but, the smile on my boys faces helped me to remember its my heart and their heart that counts☺ oh...and my husband's heart, who sometimes has to endure my meltdown! LOVED this idea!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea! I was just thinking of doing a gingerbread house with my kids, but they would certainly enjoy this project instead!

Kathy said...

I think that is so sweet! What wonderful memories for your children.

We are going to a tree farm this weekend to pick out a tree. We will enjoy decorating, listening to Christmas music and drinking egg nog and eating cookies. We also watch a few special Christmas shows each year.

Thanks for the ideas.

~katie~ said...

Darling and meaningful idea, Monica! Thanks for sharing! ♥ Planning to start a few meaningful traditions with devotions and crafts.

p.s. I noticed that your "Follow Me on Pinterest" button didn't link to anything, is it supposed to? :) I found you on there manually but just wanted to mention it. I haven't joined Pinterest, but the ideas are delicious, as you've mentioned!

Mom said...

Lots of fun! :)
Love, Mom

peggy said...

I've been enjoying your children's Christmas projects and I knew you seemed familiar. While trying to find you on pinterest I realized that I made your beautiful reindeer pattern a couple of years ago. I am trying to understand pinterest but can't seem to make your follow button work. I know it is just me. I will keep trying. Thanks for posting things for children.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hey ladies - you were right, my Pinterest button was not working - but it is now! :) Thanks!

rmfrancis said...

Oh my gosh those are adorable!!! I no longer have little ones at home (my baby just turned 16 and the rest are away at college), but I am still going to make this with her to go with the gingerbread houses we made on Thanksgiving!!!!

angie said...

So clever, and much more meaningful than a gingerbread house. I appreciate that you didn't feel the need to buy all of the suggested candies to make this craft. The creativity required when we "make do" is part of the learning process.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

this is too cute :) :) I LOVE the jelly candy people :) :)

Have a great day. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Angel said...

I have just seen this last night. SUCH a cute idea!

Carrie said...

Ok, that's just plain cool!