Thursday, December 15, 2011

Creative Worship: Part Two

Now on our third year of planning a special time to worship Him and create during Christmas, it was another time of beauty! Read about our first time here and second here. Each year, our time has looked and worked differently, but a few things remain the same. First, I create some beauty to bring as my offering. We pray, we listen to peaceful music and try to keep things fairly quiet.

This year, the idea came to have a true quiet time after lunch. We had a fire in the fireplace, a pot of hot tea, read Luke 2 and sang, "O come, let us adore Him!" I had two nativity sets out for quiet play, art supplies and beauty.


Please don't get the idea that my children just sit still in perfect quiet for an hour. We are a work in progress! But, it was quieter than it usually is! And, they were really trying to go along with what I suggested.


This is my primitive and humble drawing. A humble stable and manger. Yet the glory coming from it is beautiful! And, as I drew in the yellow over the manger - it looked like a crown - and I went with it. He is King! Then, I thought of things that come from His Presence: peace, hope, salvation, glory and love.

And, then based on how my own heart has been struggling - I thought of how these things that concern me fade the closer they are to the manger. So the words fade out as they get closer and are darker as they are farther. Lesson: stay close to the manger and focused on this!

Emily drew this!

And, Rachel drew, "Gabriel, Mary and Joseph."

Rachel also drew this.

Emily drew this!

Creative worship inspired by Ann.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Lovely photos and so precious to see these three sweet heads bent over creative endeavors focusing on the birth of our Saviour! Looking forward to seeing you soon, love, Mom

angie said...

Ah, now I see the big picture. It did not take place on your porch. I saw the brick of your fireplace and thought it was the outside of your home.
This is a wonderful tradition you have created for your family. I'm looking forward to this weekend, when all that we have scheduled is an indoor soccer game and church. I think some quiet time of worship is what we are all craving.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Monica! So sweet how you are teaching your children the true meaning of Christmas. God Bless your efforts!
Anxious to see all of this in person.

Love you, Grandma