Friday, December 02, 2011

Christmas Tree Farm Part One

Early in November, I had the opportunity to put together a couple of articles for a local publication. One of the articles was about visiting a Christmas Tree Farm as a family. So, my littles and I got to go visit one!

Down a very cute road, only about fifteen minutes from my house -
we found a Christmas tree farm!


I packed a cute Christmas-themed lunch:


I had a light-bulb moment when trying to figure out how to enjoy the hot chocolate experience when it is not cold ~ chocolate milk!


And, Christmas tree cakes {Little Debbie} were a perfectly fun dessert!


A little holly tied onto our wagon made a festive way to cart our things around.


I way over-planned things to do: I brought a craft, books to read, etc... and we didn't do any of it! Just enjoyed learning all about planting and farming Christmas trees and being outside in the fresh air!


I'd sort of avoided Christmas Tree Farms thinking they would be outrageously expensive. But, was pleased and surprised to learn that this one was not!


The leaves were falling and my littles had a ball picking up these big beautiful leaves and making
"leaf bo-fay's!"

Obviously we did not cut our tree during this visit since it was early November! However, we are headed back there this weekend to get our tree ~ so part two will show our visit as a family!

10 comments:

Grace said...

So Sweet!!! Love all the pics. is this the tree farm down the road from my old house?

Annie said...

I love tree farms. Like you, I thought they might be expensive. However, we found that it was the most affordable option. With
11.5' ceilings, and "thing" about having a real tree, we couldn't afford to buy a pre-cut. We're so lucky to have found a farm that has trees that work for us in the $35 range.

I'm so glad you had such a good time!

~katie~ said...

What a lovely day! :) I love that you had more activities than you had time for ~ you are one prepared mama/teacher! Have fun picking out a tree this weekend!! (I LOVE the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree. Hmmmm!)

m said...

hello Monica, do you have any updates? i was hoping to get it for the holidays and I have sent you another email. thank you very much in advacen and God's blessings.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

How sweet is this ;) :) Your kids are clearly having a great time :) :) P lus, you really know how to pack a fun lunch :) :)

Have a great time when you go get your Christmas tree :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Mom said...

Love these photos of your fun outing! (It reminded me of the time we went to the mountains to cut trees on our friends' property - remember?!?) Love you, Mom

*carrie* said...

Monica,

I don't remember you mentioning this. Neat!

angie said...

Do you get Family Fun magazine? There was a really cute idea in the Dec/Jan issue on page 45. It was sent in from a reader who said:

"Our family always goes to a tree farm to find our Christmas tree. To commemorate this outing one year, I cut off a portion of the tree trunk (you could probably get them to do this at the farm), drilled holes in one of its flat surfaces, and inserted heavy-gauge wire. I twisted the tops of the wire to hold photos of that day and used festive ribbon to secure a decorative label holder to the trunk. I display the photo tree year-round as a memento of our family's special time together."

I so want to do this, but we don't get a real tree due to allergies.
If you would like to see the magazine page, I can send it to you.

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun. Glad you got to do this. Hope you have fun picking out your tree as a family this weekend. I'm glad I'll get to see it this year!! Can't wait.

Love you, Grandma

Thanks for all the cute photos.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. We live in Ft. Lauderdale and often Christmas is still hot weather for us. I had to smile at your chocolate milk - that's exactly what I do! I put mini marshmallows in it too! they dont melt, but the kids still enjoy it. Also, when it's hot for Christmas, we make snowman sundaes: all-white ice cream sundaes. Vanilla ice cream with things like coconut, marshmallows, white chocolate chips and white sprinkles.