Thank you so much for your encouraging and sweet words on my couch reveal a few days ago. I'm guessing there were a few details some of you may have wondered about or if not, I'll just share anyway!
Let's see - how did this crazy project get started? Oh yes, there was this crazy piping poking out of the cushions in a few places - everytime it poked out, I just cut it off! But, then there was a hole where it had poked through. I bought these couches over ten years ago. Before moves and marriage and littles.
And, these couches have been just right for me/us for many years. But, when I was thinking about this change - I told my mom it felt like it was time for my living room to "grow up" a little bit. I mean, these couches were my first big furniture purchase. Yes, I'd bought one couch before. For $5 from a yard sale, but it had outlived its life long ago.
Even when I hadn't had these couches very long, I remember first reading of slip covers in an article about Rachel Ashwell founder of Shabby Chic. I tried to inquire about ordering some for my couches - but they were sold only to professional designers at the time.
So, I just set that idea aside for a while - years. And, then this. Yes, this started everything. The bug bit me and I thought all summer about what it would be like to slip my couches. Did I have the nerve? Would I finish? Were light couches really wise with my young crowd around here?
David was supportive and on a Sunday afternoon when my sweet friend, Grace, was on her way to our house - I ripped off the skirt to the big couch. Suddenly, I was committed. And, it felt ok!
I worked before Grace got here and then we finished the main slip for the big couch and I worked on a couple of pillows. This couch was half finished for weeks - but I finally got it done. Then, I struggled to finish the smaller one - but fortunately I'd had the wisdom to start on the biggest part. I do know myself well enough to know I have to do the hardest and biggest part of the project first.
Nitty gritty: I started this early August and finished about a week ago. I didn't keep exact track of how much this project cost - but I'm guessing it was in the ball park of $250 on all the canvas drop cloths (five - and it is VERY important to get them all at once!!! It seems there are tons of variations in drop cloths!), zippers, stuffing, ticking and new cording, etc...
This brings me to what I did exactly. I ripped off the old skirts, ripped out all of the old piping (didn't want it poking through my new covers!), ripped out zippers and reused the ones from the cushions, added zippers to the back pillows, added stuffing to mashed down pillows, etc... Everything is now removable except for the covers on the throw pillows.
As for the rest of the living room, I really just moved things around, spray painted my floor lamp ($1) and didn't buy anything for shelf. Oh, yes - and the $3 curtains! I still want to add more throw pillows - but haven't been inspired or found what I want yet - not sure what I want yet either!
Bless David, he has told me so many times how much he loves the new look, how it feels more comfortable, what a good job I've done. Such a sweet encouragement in the midst of a huge project!