Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Waiting Gracefully: Wrap-Up


I've had the topics for this series written out for months and it has just taken me forever to get the posts written. So, since I'm down to three - I decided to just combine them and finish this up!

Study God's Word on the subject of which I am in waiting. You've probably gathered by now in reading my blog that I love to do word studies. I love to take a word and go to my concordance and Bible and learn all I can about that topic. Before I was married, I studied about wives in the Bible and how God instructed husbands and wives. Now, I'm studying on how to see. This idea can apply in any area we are seeking God in!

Pursue a hobby. Even though I heard it said, it wasn't obvious to me until I lived it. When we are single - we have time, opportunity to learn new things and invest in different ways we don't have available when we are married and have a family. One thing I would encourage my daughters to do during their single years is to do something they enjoy. Of course, not to the exclusion of other opportunity or ministry - but just to use some of their time in pursuing one of the things that God has given them to enjoy.

Proverbs 31. I don't know if I can say enough about this passage as far as how much I studied it when I was single. I not only studied it, but prayed over it and memorized it. All I ever wanted to be was a Proverbs 31 woman in whatever ways God showed me.

Often we think of this verse applying to women who are married and have children. However, I will never forget when I was coaching cheerleading. One of the girls on our team, Heidi, wrote out Proverbs 31 one year and gave it to me. She put her own thoughts in parentheses about how I lived out those qualities and it was so meaningful to me. I wasn't anywhere close to being married or having children and yet this young woman was encouraging me to be a Proverbs 31 woman!


Here's what she shared:

(A woman of God) is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come, She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household (In your case the affairs of the school) and does not eat of the bread of idleness. Her children (us cheerleaders) arise and call her blessed; her husband (even a future husband) also, and He praises (will praise) her: Many will do noble things, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive and beauty (which you have also) is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate (school name).

Re-reading these thoughts to post here - encouraged me again and prompted me to try and look Heidi up on Facebook and let her know how much I appreciated this encouragement over a decade ago.

A few other thoughts I wrote during my single years on Proverbs 31 can be found here. And, as I've been crafting my way through Proverbs 31 - I've shared on each of those verses as well.

Just a reminder - if you're interested in reading this entire series, just click the tag at the bottom of this post or use the photo in the sidebar that matches the one in this post.

7 comments:

Mom said...

What a blast from the past to see the photo of you and your cheerleaders! :)

I remember when Heidi gave you the personalized version of Proverbs 31 and am glad you were able to find her via Facebook to let her know how much it meant to you.

Proverbs 31 has been meaningful to me as well. I used to concentrate on the verse about not eating the bread of idleness, but these days, the parts I'm trying to pursue are being clothed with strength and dignity, speaking with wisdom, and fearing the Lord.

You were good at waiting gracefully, and I'm thankful that God blessed you with a wonderful husband and three precious children! Love you lots, Mom

*carrie* said...

Monica,

Nice posts.

I am trying to remember a Heidi?! You have to write me back with her last name. Fun pic!

Anonymous said...

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick,tick,
tick, tick, BOOM, DYNAMITE!

Love, Dad

~katie~ said...

Oh, I love how your friend blessed you in such a personal way with Scripture! Seems to me that you do that same thing for others quite often here! =) Makes me think of Hebrews 10:24...one kind act spurs another!

Proverbs 31 is one of my very favorite passages (hence the blog!). =) That is a cute photo!

LynnMarie said...

What a nice thing for that girl to do and how nice that you saved it for so long! Great post and I love Provierbs.

Melissa said...

I have enjoyed reading your Waiting Gracefully series. It reminds me how thankful I am to have a friend who cares about God's word and encourages me along by her example. And it's fun to read about your "story". There are lots of things I didn't know. Great photo, too! You look so happy...

Deborah said...

Thank you so much for inspiring me every day that I receive your blog.