Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Seeing: When I don't want improved vision.

We took Samuel to the eye dr. last week to pick out his glasses. It was right after nap time, in fact I had to wake him to go.

Well, let's just say that was not a good time for him to go to the eye dr. He screamed, cried and carried on the entire time we were there. He squirmed and fought me and was generally quite disagreeable.

He loudly exclaimed that he did not want glasses, did not like them, and clearly let us know he wanted absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Glasses were picked out and we left as quick as we could.

You know what? Wearing glasses is not going to be easy for him. I know this. His good eye is going to be blurred and his lesser eye is going to be how he can see. Things are going to be blurry and frustrating for him for a while. That's going to be hard.

Sometimes I don't really want to have my vision improved either. To undergo the "treatment," to see the heartache or the needs, to look beyond myself the way I will need to if I hope to see like my Savior.

I can really identify with how Samuel acted. I'm not saying it was appropriate, but I do appreciate how real children are. They let their feelings be known and their true thoughts hang out there. They are not trying to be fake or something we hope them to be. They are so honest and so matter of fact.

The bottom line is: he doesn't want to wear glasses. I don't blame him. But he is going to have to do it. And, I could easily say the same for myself when it comes to learning to see the way God wants me to see.

Isn't it true that sometimes I'd rather just live with blurry vision than be corrected?

11 comments:

melissa said...

My son started wearing glasses just after he turned one. He had a pretty easy transition to wearing them, and within a few weeks, he was asking for them after nap and sleep times. I think that now (almost 3) he wouldn't know what to do without them! :) Hope that encourages you!

Our biggest challenge now is when other people ask us about it. This morning we were at a park, and a nine-year old boy asked what was wrong with my son's eyes. I could tell that my son was uneasy, as he moved a little closer to me. Although he likes his glasses, and being able to see clearly, he is not fond of people mentioning his glasses to him.

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Amen. Amen and AMEN!!!

Monica - this was such a great analogy. I can really relate.

On the side... I'll be thinking of your little guy and praying for ya'll...as this will be a huge adjustment and requiring so much grace and patience on your part.

God sees your 'need' and hears your heart.
Blessings.

angie said...

What an appropriate analogy. I'm reminded of the scripture that says in order to enter the kingdom of Heaven, we must see and act like a child, willing to be obedient and rebuked by our Heavenly Father. (I wish I had more scipture memorized, and not just the summaries!)

Unknown said...

What a candid post! I too can relate to your analogy of Samuel's reaction to the 'corrected' vision process. So many times, the Lord gently prods us to change. But often, our stubborness and contentment 'where we are' calls for a more drastic process. Thank the Lord, He knows what we need when we need it! But I thank Him also, that He gives the grace we need as well to deal with what we must go through to get to where we are supposed to be. :)
Loved this!

Nikki @ Saving For A Rainy Day said...

My 2 older children wear glasses and it has certainly been a struggle in our home......

I love the analogy you used and the title reminded me of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xAuyliKDco&playnext=1&list=PL01CAD0364C6297D9

(PS-this this one of our new pastors singing this!!)

Anonymous said...

This spoke to my heart and is so true as we Christians go through difficult places and circumstances. Thank you. Christy S.

I'll be praying for little Daniel!

Elaine said...

What a great analogy. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I can relate to your Samuel. My eyes don't work together, and they tried to correct it when I was 8. I had to wear a patch over my good eye to try to strengthen the weak eye. It was torturous, especially as hardly any of the other kids at school had glasses, and they certainly didn't have to wear an eye patch! At least your kiddo doesn't have to look weird during this difficult process!

The good thing is that he's quite young. As such, he will likely adapt more easily. He may not like it now, but he'll get used to it soon enough. I'll be praying that the process will be easier than expected at this point, and that the treatment will actually work! You're very blessed to have discovered this so early!

Great spiritual analogy, too.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Monica,

Thanks for this great analogyl. I'm afraid it hits me "right between the eyes"...especially when it comes to exercise and weight loss.
I know I NEED to do it, but I don't WANT to!
I'll continue to pray for our little man as he adjusts to wearing his glasses and for you as you try to encourage him to do so. I know it won't be easy, but as you recently referenced Phil 4:13, I know our Lord will give you (and Samuel) strength to do what you have to do.

I love you, Grandma

Elaine said...

Oh Monica, this is right-now-life. Difficult relationships that were simply endured with issues never confronted or even prayed through because I didn't want to see... even as my prayer for many months has been, "Lord, help me to see what I cannot see!"
It is Good News that our Father wants to correct our vision and He really won't take "No!" for an answer.
Elaine

~katie~ said...

Oh, yes, I can relate to this. Praying for the Lord to point out those things within me that hinder my relationship with Him is so necessary and is my desire...yet I know that so many times it will not be something I consider easy to do. So thankful for His grace to see me through whatever it is He wants me to do! What a learning process, though!