Monday, April 11, 2011

Christian Birthday - New Life!

One year ago (Friday) Emily made a life-changing decision! We are so very thankful for God drawing her to Himself! I've mentioned this on my Facebook page, but this past week marked my 29th Christian Birthday and the next day was Emily's first.

I'm so thankful that my Mom wrote that date down and that I've been able to celebrate the actual day! And, I want to continue that for my children. So far, two of them have two birthdays! And, we are praying for Samuel to join us!

Anyway, I wanted to make the evening special and help send the message that their Spiritual birth is important to us. It was a Friday night, so it worked well to make a Family Night out of it!

David got her a butterfly balloon on his way home from work and we talked about how a butterfly reminds us of our new life in Christ. Much as the old (caterpillar) self has been changed into a new (butterfly) self. (II Corinthians 5:17)

And, I ordered a book for her (which hasn't come yet!). I asked Emily what she wanted for dinner - no surprise, she chose pizza! And, I made new life cakes and I shared about the night I asked Jesus into my heart when I was about her age. We also watched Facing the Giants as we remembered she did one year ago today.

We are so thankful for the spiritual heritage that is beginning for Emily!

* * *

Have you celebrated a Christian Birthday in your home? I'd love to hear the ways you make it special, meaningful and memorable!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God and what a sweet way to celebrate!

Unknown said...

Oh, how precious is that. I don't remember the day, but I suppose for me, I'm just content knowing that I have a relationship with God that pleases Him. But this is a wonderful way to encourage her in her faith. Those little cakes are so cute :]

~katie~ said...

Rejoicing!! So precious!

Agnes said...

Monica, excuse my ignorance but what is a christian birthday?

Anonymous said...

This post made me smile!
I do not know the date of my Christian Birthday and never thought to celebrate it. That will change...going home tonight to discuss this with my husband. I would love to establish this tradition for us...even if we are not blessed with children. What a beautiful family tradion.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Congrats to you both!!!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Agnes -

Simply the day we celebrate a second birth or the day we become a Christian. Since we have a physical birth and then can have a second birth: a spiritual birth - we want to celebrate that her eternity is secure!

Elaine said...

What an awesome idea. Unfortunately I did not do that with my children. Your children will never forget these times. I also do not know the exact day of my salvation. I only know that I was 16. How I wish I had written it down. Most importantly though, God knows. :) thanks for sharing.

Homemaker Honey said...

What a neat idea - celebrating new life in Christ. Remember, that the angels rejoiced at her salvation!

Unknown said...

WE DO THIS TOO! My husband and I both celebrate our spiritual birthdays. I will never forget the day I was reborn but my husband wasn't sure of the actual date but knew the month and year so we celebrate it on the 1st. We adopted an 8 year old and an infant and wanted to celebrate with them as well when they accept Christ. My son came up with the idea that we sing Amazing Grace like we would sing Happy Birthday. WE LOVE IT! Can't wait to celebrate with him and our daughter one day. LOVE LOVE the cake idea!

Raising a Brood... said...

That's so sweet...what a wonderful idea! Not a day more important to celebrate than your "real birth" day! Praise HIM!

Annie said...

What a great idea, Monica. We celebrate our children's baptismal anniversaries in our family. We relight their baptismal candles and look at the pictures taken that day (they were baptized as infants). This is especially significant for my son since we lived overseas when he was baptized and many of those folks are far from us now.

Another thing we do is have those celebrating with us tell how each has seen God through/in that person's life in the last year.

You're a wonderful parent and a great spiritual guide for your children.

Intentional Living Homestead said...

That is wonderful...praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday, Sister Emily!

What a great tradition to start in our family!

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

How special that you celebrated Emily's Christian Birthday...and what clever ways.
Tomorrow is my spiritual birthday (69 years!!) I knew yours & Emily's were close to mine, but wasn't sure of the exact dates.
I pray God's richest blessings on you & your precious family.

I love you dearly,

Grandma

Mom said...

How thankful we are that Emily has made this life-changing decision! Love to all, Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Emily!!: )

I love this! I think we'll be making this a tradition in our home as well. Thanks for sharing! Love, Christy S.

Jenny Lynn said...

I grew up and have even been baptized. Although, I don't think I have been converted or come unto Christ as you and your daughter have. I am drawn in, but something holds me back. I love how you celebrate this life changing moment.

crzy4myfam said...

What a precious way to celebrate such an important event!!!

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.