Thursday, November 04, 2010

Barbie Party Details

I know the Barbie theme will meet with some mixed reactions here - please know that I am mixed on it too. But, David and I agreed that Emily could have her first Barbie when she turned six years old. So, she instantly decided she wanted a Barbie party!

I did not want to go with the popular Barbie stuff that is out as far as party planning. So, after scouring the web for ideas and putting my creativity to the test - this is what we came up with.

We saw a couple of really cute Vintage Barbie parties here and here. And, both Emily and I really liked this look and theme. So, with my $50 birthday budget (including gifts) - we got really creative at stretching the dollars and while our party was not as picture perfect as others, Emily had a great time and loved all the Barbie details!

I made a silhouette using Emily's profile picture and then freehanded a ponytail on her. I made a sign for our front door using simply black and pink scrapbooking paper, stick on jewels and ribbon. Super easy, super cheap, very cute! (Shown in yesterday's post.) I also used the same design for the invitations (also shown yesterday.)

The decorations were pretty simple too - more silhouette designs on the table made a simple paper runner, crepe paper and a little note on the chalkboard! (Shown yesterday)

Other decorations were Barbies! I pulled out my Barbie box and had fun setting up little Barbie scenes on the kitchen counters. Some of our Barbie goodies are my Mom's and wow, they really knew how to make Barbie stuff when she was in her early days. Those things are still classy to me!



The goody bags were easy to make using a package of pink treat bags from Target with silhouettes glued on. Treats inside were about $1 per girl and included chapstick, a little art kit, a Barbie comb (my aunt sent these!), a bracelet and a small bag of Skittles. Emily made little party hats for each of her guests which were also included in the bags.

Pulling all of these goodies out instantly reminded me of my first Barbie. She was wearing jeans, a pink fuzzy shirt and pink cowgirl boots. I only have the boots of all that - but those boots were all it took to remind me! I also found these:

My sister, Carrie, and I used to use these for little Barbie tables! Remember, they used to come with pizza?!

During the party, Emily requested Barbie coloring pages:

Painting nails:

And, a Barbie cake:

Two stories about this cake. First, the super cool Barbie inside is my Mom's! She graciously agreed to share it for this and I was very careful to wrap her all up in plastic wrap before putting her in the cake. She is all cleaned up and fine now, you'll be happy to know she survived this! I made her necklace and earrings out of the same sticker jewels that I used on the invitations, treat bags and decorations.

Second story is that I have to tell on myself. I had to bake this cake twice. The first time, I thought I would be all smart and mix up two cake mixes in my Kitchen Aid mixing bowl. It seemed the perfect shape for a doll dress! Well, it baked and baked and baked and baked. Finally, the toothpick (long wooden skewer) came out clean and it was supposed to be baked through, right? Next thing I know, the top is still baked at the top, but the middle had sunk into a big mushy mess at the bottom of the bowl. Uh-oh.

So, the second time around, I baked one cake mix in the mixing bowl (which worked great!) and the other one in two nine inch round cake pans. Live and learn!

Also, during the party - I wanted to do a little photo area. I hung tissue paper on the wall and made a frame out of scrapbooking paper. The feather boa came from Michael's with a 40% off coupon! I really looked and looked for a real frame to paint black. But, I was only willing to pay $2-$3 for one and could not find a big enough one for that. I'm still pleased with how the idea turned out. Emily's cute pink t-shirt with the silhouette girl on it was a Target clearance score about a year ago!

I kept telling myself I should iron the tissue paper - and honestly, I ran out of time. It was either use it as is or not do it and I would've been so sad to miss out on it! But, when I look at the pictures, I see the cute smiles, hopefully it doesn't ruin the pictures!


Pink napkins were simply tied with ribbon and placed in a cute tea kettle:

Pink lemonade was dressed up with lemons and Sprite served in a cute jar! Black cups were found at Wal-Mart and I just tied ribbon around them too to dress them up!

The Birthday Girl:


34 comments:

Kelly said...

Monica you rock! I love the vintage Barbie stuff! You are super creative with the props, the stuff (junk, mostly) in the stores can't compare! The photo area is the best. Great job!

Tasha said...

I agree! You did a fab job! It all looks great. I am very impressed the way you made it all come together with $50. Way to go!
I love the old Barbie. When I say old I mean I am 43 years old and Barbie sure has come a long way.
Thanks for sharing Emily's bday pictures. I bet she had a blast!

Kim said...

Adorable! I love the intentional way you make each of your kids (and your husband) feel so loved and special! The ideas are precious :)

Mom said...

Very creative, Monica, as usual! I could never have imagined 40+ years ago when I was playing with that well-loved Barbie that she would someday be part of my granddaughter's birthday party! It was fun to see the Barbies and accessories from your childhood and mine -- and I'm so glad that Emily had a wonderful time! Love you, Mom

Jenny Lynn said...

Your so creative, I love how you stretched you money. Also, how you included Emily in the planning. I did this with my daughter who is 16 now. It is great, she can plan her own party. I tell her what she can spend. Then she gathers all the ideas for it. We put it together. I think this is a wonderful life skill our daughters are learning.

Anonymous said...

Awww, so sweet! I know Emily will have fond memories of growing up! Love your ideas, so much better and unique than store bought : ) Christy S.

~katie~ said...

Very very classy, Monica, with all of your special touches...just darling! Love how you tied fun toys, materials, and memories from 3 generations! (And those pizza holders are the perfect tables ~ especially for my old Strawberry Shortcake dolls! Fun!)

Anonymous said...

You are so great with all the little details! Wow!

Amara

A Dusty Frame said...

Looks like you did a great job:)

Don't worry about not ironing the tissue;).

Also, don't worry about making parenting choices that others may or may not make.

Your husband said Barbies were ok so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks right?:)

With a son, we've had a few of those things we've had to think through and our choices may not be the same as others but that's why God gave each of us our own family.

Lizzie

Anonymous said...

super-cute! I had a barbie cake when I was little too-how fun :)
Jill

RaisingThree4Him said...

Cute party, you are so creative. Oh, by the way, I used to use those little plastic things that came in pizzas for Barbie tables also. That's hilarious, or did everyone do that?!?

LynnMarie said...

Great job! It's clear by the look on her face that the party was a big hit and you stayed in budget! No wonder we all love to stop by.

Blissful & Domestic said...

I think it turned out wonderfully. My sweet girl would love a party like this. I love the picture area idea. How fun!!

Aubrey said...

I love all your themed birthday parties. I thought this was a great way to go - the classic barbie has such style. I also really like the idea of limiting the birthday budget. $50 seems like a good amount that would give you enough money to do some fun things with, but not going overboard. You are so creative. I hope my kids will have such cool parties one day. (Right now I just have a boy, so I don't think the classic barbie idea will go over well for him.) And the photo corner is a great idea.

Carrie said...

I think Vintage Barbie is tasteful, classy and elegant AND that you did a fabulous job pulling all of this together!

I always love reading about your parties and party plans!

Shannon Miller said...

Monica - I just love this! I too have "issues" with Barbie, but I love the old fashioned one and this party is precious and classy and girly and perfect!

Unknown said...

What a great mom! I loved the vintage Barbie things - reminded me of when I was a little girl. As for Barbie - all my friends and I played with them and I have many happy memories of those days (some of my happiest childhood memories actually)!

your post today made me smile, on a really gloomy (weather and situational) day! Thank you!

rachel@thecupcakesprinklesinlife said...

Wonderful Monica...

Who says Barbie has to tote "issues" anyways? Our Barbies are "Christians" as my girls choose to make them so. They are also homeschooled and sing for Jesus :)haha... I love the creative minds of littles!

It's all in what you make it! :)

Also, Emily's big happy smiles just say it all- She loves all of the effort that her wonderful mama puts into her special day! :)

MrsCoach said...

"Girlie Girls" are bound to fall in love with Barbies. My daughter has all of my old Barbie things, as well. If you pick and choose the accessories/clothes, it can be great fun. I had the Barbie hot tub when I was little and it's one of my favorites of my seven year old! It's amazing at all of the new versions of the old toys they have. My mother told me a story of my father and my grandfather staying up until 3am on Christmas Eve putting together the Barbie townhouse because they couldn't get the elevator to work. You'll never guess what's on my daughters list this year: The all-new townhouse! Barbies and American Girl dolls are two favorites here among the girls.
I love all of your projects for the party! And those cakes are $65 here...so kudos to you for making your own!!

Sheila said...

Everything looked so beautiful, but nothing was as beautiful as her smile. :) I may 'steal' your photo frame idea for my 14-year-old's party this weekend!

Pamela said...

I think what makes me enjoy your birthday parties is the love that is evident in planning to completion. Kids don't mind if the tissue paper isn't ironed. My children are passed the birthday party stage, but I have used many of your ideas. You're a creative genius!

angie said...

Wow! This party stretched your creativity to a new level. I love silhouettes, and what a classic representation of Barbie. I can't believe that both you and your mom have Barbies and accessories remaining from your childhood. That is good stewardship.

Jessie said...

Lovely!

Amy said...

Oh, PERFECT Barbie party. I am hard at work planning Emily's for December and was planning to make the infamous Barbie cake too. I think I am going to have to steal your photo booth idea- I adore it!

Wendi said...

You always have a great party! I really liked the photo area. Very creative!

Ginny said...

Great party! We are big party fans. I did have to do a little cringe though at the barbie in the cake :) She is worth some money, lol.

It came out beautiful though & as a collector glad to hear she came out ok from the experience. Being a mom though, it was so worth your daughters happiness!

Beth Moore said...

I just swoooooooned!!! What a gorgeous, fun and creative party!!! Your girls are so blessed to have you, Monica!!

*carrie* said...

You are the cutest, Monica. Only you would think to wrap cups with ribbon! Totally didn't notice the paper wrinkles. =)

Didn't read comments--did anyone else have our brilliant table idea?!

Melissa said...

The cake is beautiful! I love the Barbie theme, and you did great job expressing your ideas. Very inspiring!

barbara said...

Monica - your creativity and simplicity rock! I loved playing with Barbies when I was a little girl (nearly 40 years ago!). My name is Barbara and people wanted to call me Barbie, but my mom would not allow them - - my brother's name is Ken. Yes, it's true :-) Surprisingly though, we did not get teased.

RT said...

I would like to hire you for the Liv's next b-day party! Soooo great and so creative, Monica. I love this post!

Karen said...

Monica, the party looks fabulous! So much fun. I was big into Barbies back in the day (had 2 laundry baskets worth of stuff) and I also used the pizza things as tables! They dress up very nicely with a doily and some ribbon. You always do greatly creative things! Your ability to turn random items into beautifully hand-crafted treasures is truly God's gifting. Thanks for sharing your gift with us!

angie said...

Guess what?? Hanna has decided that she would like to have a Barbie birthday party. Her birthday is next week but we plan to have the party the following week. I looked back at this post to refresh my memory of some of the ideas I plan to steal! Do you still have any of the silhouettes that you could scan for me? I'm having trouble free-handing the vintage look logo. Target used to use that logo on their aisle markers, but no longer.

angie said...

Believe it or not--I have another question in preparation for our Barbie party. I plan to bake the cake using the Pampered Chef batter bowl. It is the perfect round shape and they even have a 'recipe' on their website. But it says to make 2 cake mixes and bake separately. Then I re-read your post and found that you also made 2 cakes. Is this necessary? That seems like a lot of cake for a small party. Can you tell that I usually do cupcakes for my kids' parties? I can't picture how I would use 2 round cakes to make Barbie's ball gown!