Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Operation Handmade Shoebox: Dolls


Oh, these dolls caught my attention from the first time I looked at Craft Hope! Aren't they adorable?! I'll admit the pattern made me nervous with only a 1/4 inch seam allowance - I was afraid they would pull apart easily. So, I actually cut a larger seam allowance on these and I did not have them pull apart.

I will say that these were a bit more time consuming than I anticipated - the arms and legs are so teeny that they are hard to stuff! But, the end result is worthwhile as I can imagine the joy they will bring to a child somewhere in the world!

It was so fun to take Emily to Sunday School a couple of weeks ago and have her teacher pull one of these dolls out to show me! She put a little bundle of beans in her body to help her sit up and I thought that was a great idea!

You can find the pattern in Craft Hope or here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, those are just too cute!!! :) Good job!

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

Adorable. I know someone will be so excited to get one.

Blissful & Domestic said...

Those are just adorable. It will be a blessing to the little child who receives those precious dolls. How amazing they turned out:>

Anonymous said...

The dolls are so sweet! I'll bet you will be making more so I offer this: One thing that helps with the small seam allowance is really setting the stitch length down and reinforcing the curved areas so you can clip and there isn't as much stress on the seam in the stuffing process.
Blessings, Elaine

angie said...

I love that your dolls are not wearing perfectly matched clothing. They will be more suitable for a li'l girl who may be dressed in an array of colors/prints. And I bet that you are enjoying being able to use scraps of fabric from your stash.

kymk99 said...

Thanks for sharing these ideas! I am looking forward to our American Heritage Girl troop crafting something for their shoe boxes next month and am watching to see what else you are crafting for your boxes. I really enjoy your blog and encourge other moms to visit your blog. Have a wonderful day!

~katie~ said...

Hi Monica! I just finally got internet access at our new place and am catching up on your lovely posts! These dolls are so very neat, and I can just imagine the joy they would bring to children around the world ~ what a wonderful idea. Also, your Homespun Harvest posts are soooo fun!! Wow, what a blessing that time must have been for all who attended! Thanks for sharing your creativity! I hope you all are well.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Monica these are so precious! I love them! I am going to have to make one ♥ What an awesome gift for some little girl. It will bring a smile I am sure...
BlEsSiNgS, Kelsey

Chelle said...

those dolls are very cute. I love how they are just simple dolls. My girls would love to make them too.

Anonymous said...

They are adorable.

Lynette said...

Adorable dolls! And I am stealing many of your harvest party ideas for our harvest party we are having on halloween!

Mom said...

So cute! :) Love, Mom