Thursday, October 14, 2010

Homespun Harvest: Food

Everyone brought their own picnic supper and I provided drinks and dessert - we did water bottles in a couple of coolers for drinks. But, I did take extra effort to make the desserts special!


Apple Hand Pies (recipe below)


S'mores: Homemade Graham Crackers spread with chocolate frosting and marshmallow creme!



Maple Oat Scones

Festive M&M's!


The Apple Hand pies were actually an idea I saw in a recent magazine and they were called Apple Pie Pops because they were baked onto lollipop sticks.

I decided not to do the lollipop sticks, but still thought the idea was cute! However, when the day came to make them - I could not find the recipe - so I had to use my memory and imagination to come up with these! I also referenced the Farm Chicks apple pie recipe.

Here's what I ended up with:

Refrigerated Pie Crust
2 Apples
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tbsp. Flour
Sprinkle of Nutmeg
Scant 1/2 c. Sugar
Cinnamon/Sugar mixture

Peel and dice apples and add them to a sauce pan. Stir in cinnamon, flour, nutmeg and sugar and cook until apples are getting soft. Roll out pie crust until it is just a little bigger than it comes and cut out with leaf shaped cookie cutter. Spoon about 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp filling into the center and cover with a second leaf shaped piece of dough. Place on baking sheet and crimp edges with a fork. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar and bake at 350 until lightly browned. I used four pie crusts and ended up with about 35 leaf shaped pies.