Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It started as a walk...


Last Wednesday morning, I knew we needed to just relax our schedule a bit at home - just be. Just be together.

I suggested a walk and grabbed my camera - purposing to take a picture of whatever caught my eye especially looking out for things I'd not noticed or observed before.

We walked - in no particular hurry - over to our neighborhood lake. My children absolutely love to walk over there - they have named the turtles, love to pretend fishing with sticks, etc...

So, to the lake we went ...


We saw ducks, turtles, pretty birds, mushrooms, flowers, water, trees, clouds, sky - God's beautiful creation filling our eyes.

Before we knew it, we'd been gone an hour. And, it struck me that these are the things childhood is made of - heads hanging over the side of the dock, exclaiming over the ducks, naming the turtles and looking for the favorite one, playing with sticks and breathing good air.

No one really had the heart to go home and have school - can't we go home and get our school stuff and come back? they pleaded.

Yes.

We headed home to gather everything up - tomorrow, I'll show the rest!

16 comments:

Tina Leigh said...

It was 69 degrees yesterday & this morning....of course it got hotter. I was still able to sit on the porch yesterday afternoon in the 3 & 4 O'clock hour. It was 92 degrees but the humidity was a whole lot less. Great time to be out!!! Loved your pictures!

~katie~ said...

The beauty and freedom of homeschooling!! :-) Good for you for saying "Yes" and for seizing the opportunity to enjoy God's creation and your kiddos! This is something I'm slowly learning ~ to cultivate joy into our learning and allow the flexibility we have to do so. Looks like a lovely place to visit!

LynnMarie said...

Took a walk with my dog a few days ago and also got some great pictures. What a blessing to know we have such beautiful around us. Maybe a peek at what Heaven looks like!

Simple Life said...

Beautiful pictures. Nature walks always remind me to slow down!

Michele said...

When my kids were that age we did this, but I called it science/nature study. It WAS our school.

The last child, the one who did more informal learning in the younger years and for a longer period, is the one who loves learning on his own the most.

If I had to do it all over again I would only do informal learning.

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

Beautiful pictures. I'm sure they'll remember school by t lake long after they've forgotten their lessons of the day. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and say yes!

Mom said...

Gorgeous photos! I can just hear the excitement in the littles' voices and picture exactly where you were! I look forward to seeing/reading about the rest of the story tomorrow. :) Love you, Mom

Tasha said...

Delightful! Looks like an amazing day! We long for cooler temps to enjoy God's world outdoors! Can't wait to see the rest!
On another note what kind of camera do you use? Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

As a homeschooling mom with now 4 adult children and one starting 8th grade ~ I want to say that I think you made perfect homeschooling memories!

Sweet blessings on your day, Monica!
Sharon

Lauren(in Savannah) said...

We homeschool also and sometimes have school outside which is a nice change of pace. My girls love to go on nature walks. A fun thing to do is wrap some masking tape around their wrists backwards so the sticky is on the outside and they stick flowers,leaves ect.. on for a nature bracelet!

P.S.>>>I love the fishing pole sticks!

Aubrey said...

Love the photos - they remind me so much of the lowcountry. It makes me miss the charleston scenery.

janhad3 said...

When can I move there? It's so beautiful and serene looking.

Melissa said...

What a sweet and refreshing day with your babies!!! Love the freedom we have in homeschooling! I know you feel blessed by the opportunity!

rachel@thecupcakesprinklesinlife said...

Positively the best Homeschooling days are made of this...

Jill said...

Great pictures and wonderful post!
Many Blessings,
Jill

angie said...

Some of the most beautiful pics you have ever posted!
Recently, on a hike, we took pics of different types of mushrooms we found--about 25 different varieties!