Monday, August 02, 2010

Homemade German Chocolate Cake

Whenever I'm fortunate enough to be around for my Mom's birthday - I am excited to make her favorite cake! Enjoy the recipe!! This recipe is from the inside of the Baker's German Sweet Chocolate box:

1 pkg. German Sweet Chocolate (I always buy Baker's as it is what I can always find)
1/2 c. water
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk

** I don't follow recipe directions very closely when baking. So, I'll give you my revised directions.

~ Place chocolate and water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high until melted. Stirring in between.

~ Place remaining ingredients except for the four egg whites into an electric mixing bowl and combine.

~ In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form (mine never did that day) and then gently fold into batter.

Divide batter between three 0-inch round cake pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Cool.

Coconut-Pecan Frosting

4 egg yolks
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter or margarine
1 pkg (7 oz.) coconut (about 2 2/3 cups)
1 1/2 c. chopped pecans

Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in a large saucepan. Add sugar and butter and cook on medium heat 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add coconut and nuts. Mix well.

Cool and frost your cakes! YUM!

What do you request for your birthday?

17 comments:

Alison said...

Yum, I LOVE german chocolate cake. I once made one from scratch for my husband's co worker. He requested one for his birthday and I happily obliged. I don't have a specific cake that I request for my birthday. I like them all!

Wendi said...

That looks great! My birthday request is either cheesecake or a cake with chocolate.

Sarah said...

oohh!! That frosting is just waiting to have a finger stuck in it to taste it!

One Pretty Little Box said...

This is one of my husband's favorite desserts! I am definately bookmarkign this! Thanks for sharing.

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

LUV German chocolate cake. Unfortunately I'm the only one that enjoys it in our home, so I haven't had it in a long time.

Mrs. K said...

Thank you so much for this, my dad requested a german chocolate cake for his birthday but I didn't have a tried and true recipe so I will put this in my files for next year.

Elise said...

That looks delicious!! I love my Mom's carrot cake-the only carrot cake I like, however, I don't think I've ever had it for my birthday.
Elise

Mom said...

The cake was delicious!! Thank you, Monica, for this special birthday treat :) - Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

German Chocolate Cake is one of my Faves...and we rarely have it! I usually request Turtle Brownies for my Special Day. I just made my 8 yr old Boy a Pumpkin Pie for his. Oreo Goodness (some call it Dirt Cake) is very popular with the kids when they are very little!

I'll have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

I request pineapple upside down cake. Glad you are with your mom.

~katie~ said...

I've never attempted to make German Chocolate cake from scratch ~ but I've made that for my mom in birthdays past as well (from a box). :-) Looks delicious ~ think I might have to try from scratch!

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Sounds awesome, and being I'm German I guess this is a recipe I should try:-)

Blessings.

Blissful & Domestic said...

That sounds so yummy and easy to make. Thankyou so much for sharing. I have a question are you going to do Any post on homeschooling since school starts in a few weeks. This is my first year of "official" homeschool and I am looking for ideas to build upon the curriculum I have planned.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

That cake looks really, really yummy.... :) :) OH, it's funny you mention that German chocolate....or rather the Baker's chocolate that you always buy...I think it's been around since the 1930s at least. I bought this little hardbound book on all the tips for homebaking. It was originally printed 1933..but the one I bought at a yard sale as printed 1935...for $0.25!!! Anyway, that was a random memory...but that's what I thought of when you mentioned the Baker's chocolate ;) :) :) Now I want a slice of cake ;) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Tim and Susan said...

oohhh, looks delicious...I'll have to try that one. (we can't get those baking choco bars here in Japan, but I think I can substitute baking cocoa and butter and make it work) YUM

Blissful & Domestic said...

I wanted to thank you again fir sharing this recipe. I made it on Sunday for our family home evening night and it was a big hit. I already have request to make it again. Thanks Monica for your wonderful thoughts. I always love your blog and most of all your faith.

Blissful & Domestic said...

I made this cake for a second time this past weekend. My family just can't get enough. I just had to post about it. Thank you so much for all the yummy recipes you share.