As we were preparing to begin school, I was thinking back to what our traditions were growing up. My Dad almost always took us out for breakfast on the first day - which was a very special treat!
For a while, I thought about continuing that tradition and taking my littles out for breakfast - but since we home school, getting out of the house really breaks the rhythm sometimes. I went around and around trying to come up with some great ideas and eventually settled happily on simple homey ideas that will be a joy to continue!
1. Set the scene. I wanted to make things look special and pretty - a pleasure and a treat to the eye. This is the stuff memories are made of! Think texture, layers, things that add meaning and enjoyment!
2. Eat somewhere different. My children always think it is so special to eat breakfast outside! Because it is so out of the ordinary. I had planned to set up our breakfast outside - but the rain prevented us from this! Instead, I set everything up in our Living Room.
3. Center it around God. Worship Him, thank Him, learn more of His ways. Focus on the things that please Him! Wisdom and giving thanks were at the top of our list this year. I have a set of alphabet cards that can be strung on a garland - this time, I spelled wisdom to tie with our theme of pursuing wisdom. You can make your own by using this idea. (Plus, look at this cute idea!)
5. Remember - create a time capsule for next year. We used this page and had fun noting special likes and thoughts for enjoyment in the future.
6. Fix a special treat! In our case, I made cupcakes for an after-lunch-tea-party. I received this cupcake set to do a review for you here and they were very tasty! I only used half of what they sent me - so now it is your turn to win!
Mine don't look as fancy as theirs because I didn't want to give the pearly decorations to my young children - plus, I wanted to send them to one of you!
The cupcakes were tasty and I was impressed at how everything except the liquid ingredients was included! We're talking muffin papers, generous helpings of all sprinkles and a whole bottle of yellow food coloring! But, to be honest, I would never spend $30 for a cupcake kit - so these were a fun item to review!
To enter the giveaway, tell me about your first day of school growing up - did you have any special traditions? Or, tell me about what you do for the first day of school with your children! Or, just leave a comment :)
No post tomorrow, so this giveaway will be open until 10pm EST Friday, August 27, 2010. Winner will be chosen at random and will receive a Deluscious Daisies cupcake kit which makes 12 cupcakes!