Friday, August 20, 2010

Back to School: Giving Thanks

This post is the first in a series of posts that I'll be using to share about our back to school activities! I'll continue this on Monday and through most of next week - so stay tuned!

It has been on my mind as we begin this year to be thankful for the opportunity to homeschool! We began our first day with giving of our thanks to God!
O Eternal God, bless all schools, colleges, and universities ~ and especially our home, that they may be lively centers for sound learning, new discovery, and the pursuit of wisdom; and grant that those who teach and those who learn may find you to be the source of all truth; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
~ from the Book of Common Prayer
I shared that I am thankful for each of my children and David. I am thankful we can homeschool and learn together at home. I'm thankful for our home and all the things we are going to learn together. I'm thankful for God and His Word who guides our every step and all of our learning.

What are you giving thanks for right now?

P.S. ~ Here's a super quick craft idea: Styrofoam balls wrapped in fabric fill these Giving Thanks jars! These always make me smile when I look at them!

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm really looking forward to these ideas!
I'm not sure how our school year will start off yet, as our baby is due the first week in September, but all A.'s school books are here, so thats a step in the right direction. ;0)
I love that little prayer, I may have to add that to my lesson plans book, as a reminder to myself on rough days...
I quick tip on those darling fabric balls: I really wanted to make some last year, but didn't have the time (or money) to get styrofoam, so I just wadded up news paper, taped it a bit with masking tape for shape, and used that. Worked out great!
Have a beautiful weekend!
Bonnie

Monica Wilkinson said...

Bonnie!

So glad to know the newspaper worked! I found a couple of foam balls in my craft supplies - but then was looking for an alternative to having to buy more. I posted this all on Facebook and a friend offered me some she had at her house - so I ended up with multi-sized balls through her gift!

Have a great weekend!
Monica

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Monica!
I am so smiling that God picked you to win the monthly card pack from DaySpring for yesterday's post!
I could just hug you!
And that we will see each other at Relevant! I can. not. wait! :)

Just had to send all my love to your beautiful homespun heart today!

(((Monica)))

All's grace,
Ann

Ginger said...

I am giving thanks that for about the 5 year in a row, I have really good kids.

*carrie* said...

Monica,

Those balls are so cute, and it's fun to recognize some of the fabric, like your blue skirt!

Elise said...

I'm thankful for my husband's car know-how, as lately, every one of our cars has been broken down at one time or another.
Love you fabric balls. Great fabric choices!!
Elise

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that my Hubby is home right now (not overseas), and has taken a very big interest in our homeschooling lately.

This is a great idea Monica...can't wait to see next week's posts!

May said...

Monica,
Your very wise to start your school with giving thanks. It makes for a much smoother homeschooling.
I'm thankful my loving husband. And for our growing family. I am thankful for God's timing, even when I don't understand. And for His grace when I act on my lack of understanding!
May
BTW, The balls turned out great.