Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Yes!

Have you been following Ann's Year of Yes? In combination with my journey of wanting to be more positive - this is a word I'm trying to say more often.

So often "no" just flies out when I don't even really need to say no. No is easier. No is less messy. No is faster. But, no is still no. To a child, does it seem like they hear no all day?

Two little letters - sometimes they are so difficult for me to say. And, sometimes they carry so much weight with them.

But, yes - yes builds up. Yes opens the heart to dream and gives hope that dreams can come true. Yes does so many things for us...

"Mama, can we make cupcakes and cookies tomorrow?" she peers over the edge of the bed as I lay reading and getting drowsy.

"How about one of those things," I reply mentally shuffling our plans for tomorrow to include the baking adventure.

"Cupcakes!"

Cupcakes it is. I notice next morning that we don't have enough sugar to make cupcakes and I never have a cake mix on hand. So, a trip to the store is in order. Yes, I go that far to make her yes happen.

We mix up the pink batter - just what little girls love: PINK! They spoon in the batter and we bake them. The frosting is mixed and colored: PINK! The sprinkles are ready and waiting (thanks, Angela!) The anticipation of the fun to come is rising!

Emily peeks in the pantry and finds a bottle of sparkling grape juice left from Christmas sales. Can we drink this? Yes.

Really, why do I say no so often? I don't really have to. No feels so safe somehow. Yes requires courage and flexibility, time and attention. Anyway, back to the cupcakes...

The fun of the decorating begins! And, we realize that tomorrow is our day to deliver treats to the children at the Children's Shelter. I'm relieved to have someone to share them with and thankful for the fun my girls had in preparing a treat for someone in a difficult position.

Won't these cheery cupcakes lift their hearts for even a moment, I hope?

Special memories are made during the yes moments. And, I'm saying, "Yes, Lord. I'm willing to be used by You in creating these moments for my sweet children. I'm willing to be inconvenienced and have messes made to make life sweeter. To bring hope and joy. Yes!"

18 comments:

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

WOW! this was really convicting to me. I say "no" way more then I should. Like you said, it feel safer somehow. (I heard "no" a lot, myself, growing up, and so...)

But, I want to say yes (or sure!). Yes! more often. Just because,like you said, it requires courage, flexibility, time and attention...I need to work on this.

Your post reminded me of this quote.

"She who is flexible will not get bent out of shape."

Not sure if it rightly applies, but that is where my thought went.

BTW: Those cupcakes look delish... and so pretty.

Alison said...

Thank you for this reminder. I have a bad habit of saying no immediately, even before I've thought anything through. And once I think things over, I'm often inclined to say yes. I just need to say nothing until I've thought about it for a few minutes.
These things are small, cupcakes and such, but sometimes the little things matter the most.

Wendi said...

I need to more of a Yes Mama. I work on that today.

Melissa said...

YES! Just looking at those cupcakes cheer me up!

being molded said...

I find myself saying "no" to often too. Sometimes it. literally, just comes out and I think "Why on earth did I say NO???" then the apology comes and I change it to a yes :) It can be disheartening though to realize hte times I don't fix things because of laziness :( I will be praying on this and thinking about what has been asked before I answer.
Thank you for sharing this, Monica!
Have a wonderful, blessed day!

ktquilts said...

Sounds like you girls had a "Pinkalicious" Day!!! We borrow that book from the Library all the time, and when we do, I know that we are going to be making pink cupcakes. They should sell the mixes at the library!!!

Blessings,

KT

petrii said...

What beautiful cupcakes and what a beautiful post!!!

I love the idea of saying Yes instead of no so much. This I will think about today.

Have a Blessed week,
Dawn

*carrie* said...

Beautiful, fun cupcakes. Thanks for inspiring and encouraging us to say yes!

Dayna (Spear) Guenther said...

Yes! Thanks for the reminder! When I was scrolling through this post, my grandbaby on my lap, she pointed to your photos and exclaimed, "Num-nums!" :)

angie said...

Wow--that is quite a collection of sprinkles! I think those cupcakes will spread cheer in and beyond the walls of your home.
Thank you for the reminder to say YES today! I did say yes to a lemonade stand on Saturday.

Jena said...

Thanks for inspiring me to say "yes" more. My Aunt and I had talked about this before and I did better for awhile, but then "no" began creeping back in. If you say "yes" more often and "no" less often, then when you do need to say "no" it will actually have meaning to your children. They will realize (it may take time and maturity first) that: hey there's a reason mom is saying "no," because she normally doesn't.

Amy Wagner said...

I too have been reading and pondering Ann's Year of Yes... and have felt it tugging at my heart too and in turn have found myself working towards saying Yes more than no. It's wonderful the looks on my children's faces when I say Yes! also-- those cupcakes are lovely bet your girls were so proud!

Flannel Jammies Farm said...

I, too, have been following this trail of yes-es. And I thank you for the yummy reminder post! I am a mama, but my babies are grown. I am a daughter, but my mother grows frail day-by-day in our home. I am a wife, but no newlywed. Those yes-es are still needed: when the grown children want to explore by foot instead of luxury vehicle, when the mother wants to shop for a new dress on my busiest day, when the husband wants to be with me despite the laundry I'm in the midst of. These moments when I say yes, despite my lists and my weariness are when God opens my eyes to the wonder of His world. He restores my joy and my playfulness.

Jenny said...

I am trying to say "YES" more! Before sitting down to blog, we made cookies.

Anonymous said...

I needed this today. Thanks for sharing. I have been saying no a whole lot lately. Not intentional but just because I am physically tired. But I when I say yes and then do it with them I usually always feel more energized.

Thanks.

rachel@thecupcakesprinklesinlife said...

Very Sweet Monica!

Molly said...

Oh, I SO needed to read this, especially today. I could relate to your comment about "no" being safe and "yes" often meaning to take risks and give of ourselves in unexpected ways. I loved the part about "yes" building up...that is one of my goals this year...to focus on praising the good things instead of always picking out the wrong things done. Thanks for encouraging me to say "yes" more often...I'm sure my children will thank you, too! :)

Anonymous said...

I have been trying hard to be a yes mm, but I needed the reminder today. Thank you!!!