Monday, May 03, 2010

Make Your Home a Haven: Clean!

How was your day? We had a great day! Why can I not manage my home like this everyday? Maybe it is in the heart and attitude plus planning put into these days that make them smoother.

Here's the recap:

1. Refresh your spirit. I decided to read Proverbs 3 this morning - I came to vs. 17-18 and made this my prayer for the day!
"Her (wisdom) ways are pleasant ways,
and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who embrace her;
those who lay hold of her will be blessed."
My prayer was that I would be wise, be pleasant, peaceful, life-giving and a blessing. After my Quiet Time, I headed out to water the garden and picked some fresh mint for a morning cup of tea. Here it is tucked into my apron pocket:

Rachel and I sat out on the screened in porch enjoying a cup of tea and being together! It was so nice!

2. Do your morning routine. I did everything on my morning routine list.

3. Take time to plan. I completed my usual Monday tasks of ironing and watering plants. My mom e-mails me other ideas of things to do including the Fly Lady zone tasks for the week. I did a couple of those tasks today as well.

4. What's for dinner? Dinner tonight was very easy since I was using leftover cooked chicken and cooked bacon to make quesadillas. I had already washed the strawberries - so dinner was quick and easy!

5. Project of the day. I started at the front door and did a pick-up through the entry way, living room, dining room (table clear!), kitchen (counters mostly clear!), laundry room (dryer clear!) and some in our bedroom. I did not touch the littles rooms as they always need tidying!! I also cleaned out any food in the fridge that was past its prime.

Here is my kitchen before:
And, after (I've reconciled myself - I will always have at least one pile. I need to work on that bin though!):
Here is the dining room before:

And, after:
For tomorrow ~ I'll be cleaning! My goals for tomorrow are to dust, vacuum, clean the master bathroom, clean kitchen counters and sink, sweep and mop floors and wash rugs. I would also like to wipe down the shelves in our refrigerator!

Tell me about your day! Hope you can join in again tomorrow!

11 comments:

Paige said...

I organized and tidied up the bakers rack, and my coffee making area. We're in the middle of a remodel, and I've got a baby in the house, so things are a bit crazy around here. I'm happy with my little success.

Ginger said...

All I can say is I am shocked at how much Samuel has grown since I saw him a few months ago.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the very real pics:) That makes me feel a ton better to know that other people's homes are lived in as well. I like to look at home decorating magazines and HGTV which both have beautiful living spaces that inspire me, but that I would be unable to maintain being busy with 7mo twins!
Jill

Amie said...

I love this blog! you are such an inspiration to me! I have trouble with the children entertaining themselves while I try to clean etc. I can't seem to get much done :( Do you have any suggetions?

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to jumped in on this. This seems like something doing often. Thanks for sharing your days and home with us.

Michelle said...

Oh, thank you for posting those pics of your kitchen! Mine looks like that (actually, worse!) this morning, and I need to hop to it. It's encouraging to know that others have the same struggles that I do. :)

Mom said...

Great job yesterday, and I love the photos documenting your day. I agree with Ginger that Samuel has grown a lot. Can't wait to see you tomorrow night! Love you, Mom

heicoc said...

Great job, I really need to work cleaning. I really like your little container that holds your kitchen utensils on your counter.....I have a little jar but need something much bigger like yours!

Jordan said...

Just wanted to "third" thanks for the pics. Every day I clean, and every afternoon/night/day it returns to that state. SO discouraging, but so helpful to know that is nothing wrong with me. This is just life. Things get messy and we clean them up. And we persist by the grace of God to the glory of God!

Jenny said...

I will link my photos in a moment.

Even though I went to work for a good portion of the day. I still managed to clean out a pantry closet, the kitchen counter & sort through my cook books.

I feel so blessed to have found your blog.

~katie~ said...

I noted that you also read your "Proverbs" of the Day according to the calendar! Neat! I have found by doing this, these verses really resonate and are quick to come to mind for certain situations. My pastor suggested doing this when we first started going to our current church, and I am so thankful! He also suggested reading 5 Psalms a day along with. I haven't been so good about that, but I aim to! Thanks for picking out that particular verse...a good one to meditate on during this challenge for sure!