Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Spritz Cookies

As requested, here is the recipe I used for making my spritz cookies. This is from the Betty Crocker cookbook.

Note: I did use freshly milled flour as I do in everything I make. For most of my baking and all cookies I use a 50/50 mix of Hard White and Soft White flour. I tried all Hard and they just weren't quite right!

1 cup stick butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
2 1/4 c. flour (again, a 50/50 blend of Hard White and Soft White freshly milled flour)
1 tsp. almond extract or vanilla (I used vanilla)
1/2 tsp. salt (I did not use this)
1 large egg
food coloring

Cream butter and sugar together. Add in remaining ingredients. Press through cookie press onto cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 6-9 minutes.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

My mom has made Spritz cookies for years for us at Christmas and now I make them for my kids. We use the same recipe, but we add green food coloring to make trees and wreaths.

Jen said...

Hi Monica!

Spritz cookies are one of our favorites! My recipe is similar to yours but I'm curious why you left out the salt and if it affected the taste? I am always hesitant to leave the salt out of a recipe, as I thought it was to enhance taste. Do they taste "flat" without it?

Merry Christmas!

angie said...

I vividly remember making spritz cookies with my grandmother. She was not the type to plan activities with her grandchildren, so I treasure this even more.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Jen -

My mom never put salt in cookies, so I guess I am not used to the taste. I almost always omit the salt in sweet things and that is how we are used to it. It depends on your taste! :)

Melissa said...

We make spritz cookies at Christmas time as well. My recipe is very similar to yours, though I sometimes use orange extract instead of vanilla or almond. They are quite yummy!

Heather said...

What type of grain mill do you use? Are you happy with it?