Wednesday, December 09, 2009

A Season of Quietness: Worship

We've been doing a Christmas project of some kind every day of December - but yesterday, I wanted to do something a little different. I was inspired by Ann's ideas here.

I created a bowl of dried split peas and vintage molds with candles in them - my first piece of art to worship Him last evening. This was also inspired by a basket of candles (for Advent) I spied at Holy Experience.

Next I put on some worshipful music, got out the art supplies - and encouraged my littles to worship God in art. To draw something that made them think of Jesus' birth, to think about Him. It was very quiet and worshipful for about three minutes - and those three minutes were precious.

We talked about worshiping God - they wondered if we were going to church. No, we can worship God at home, I said. I reminded them that God created art and we can worship Him by drawing for Him, thinking of Him while we create.

Emily started dancing around the room - I encouraged her that dance could worship God too.

I have labeled and dated the art created last night and will save them. I hope to create a journal or book of our creations over the years at this holy season.

Worship Christ the newborn King!

13 comments:

Ginger said...

so sweet and creative

Bonnie said...

I LOVE this idea! What a great way to wind down for the evening as well, in an attitude of worship.
I'll be trying this tonight!

Leanne said...

that is a wonderful idea! I might even try it with our whole AWANA group!

Mom said...

Very sweet post and photos of littles using their creativity to worship -- led by their mama using her own creativity to worship!
Blessings, Mom

Elise said...

Oh my...LOVE this idea!! I think we need some worship in this house, I really want my children to know the true meaning of Christmas and this is a great way.
Thanks!!
Elise

Dawn said...

LOVE the pic of Samuel with the markers!!
Tell your sweetie pies that I'll see them tonite!
Dawn

angie said...

After I read Ann's article, the correlation between peaceMAKERS and making something stuck with me. I think I will touch on this to some degree when I teach kids' club at church tonight.
I've been moved to reach out to a charity in the area. Two years ago we went to their storage facility and packed bags and boxes to be given to needy families. Yes, I think that is something my family needs to make time for again this year.

Simple Home said...

Beautiful art for the Lord. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Marcia

Anonymous said...

Just took a moment to read before lunch...I will use your idea this afternoon! Too cold and windy to go outside, most piano lessons are canceled...love the idea to claim the time for worship together. Also love the idea to keep a yearly collection. I have let too many precious drawings slip away. Balancing keepsakes and clutter is hard- I tend to toss!

Thanks for the inspiring idea-
Jen N

Christy said...

Monica, that is soo pretty! You always have wonderful ideas.

Heather said...

I love this! It's so good for kids to know that everyday experiences can bring glory to God!

Carapace said...

I think that's wonderful. What can bring us closer to God than to be creative ourselves, in love and joy?

Also, glad to know I'm not the only one who calls them littles.;)

Anonymous said...

Art nights are like a re-set button for our family. They really sooth! Thank you for the great idea to make it a worship experience! That would be a natural addition!
Angela