Friday, May 29, 2009

Family Night: Playhouse Progressive Dinner

At a nearby Farmers Market recently, my little ladies spotted what they thought looked like a Noah's Ark playhouse. After some inquiry - we discovered there were five playhouses being raffled off in a nearby development. We obtained permission to visit and I came up with a plan!

I drove through the neighborhood first to scope everything out - then I came home and drew up a Treasure Hunt map:

And, planned a menu based on each stop on our route:

We started out at the little red schoolhouse! The swings were a big hit! And, here we enjoyed the first part of our dinner - peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and apples. I had a jug of lemonade for our drink.

Next, we followed the map to the little hunting/fishing cabin (really more about frogs) and we had goldfish crackers tied to a fishing pole! This was a big hit - as was the little doorbell that sounded like a frog saying, "Ribbit."

The puppet theatre was our next stop - Samuel enjoyed the puppets! Here, we munched on popcorn and played with puppets!

Next, was the pirate ship which was where our treasure was hidden (thanks to Daddy!) - I packaged some gold coin candy in this pirate ship box (clearance at Michael's for about 25 cents). I had intended for us to make S'mores at the mini Air Stream trailer next, but it was fairly busy with other people around - so we skipped that part.

Instead, we headed to the playground - for a very fun ending to our progressive dinner and treasure hunt! Aren't those the cutest little playhouses?! Which little house was your favorite?! We had a great time!

PS: Next week is going to be all about organizing! Get ready to see all the neat things my Mom helped me accomplish on her recent visit!

25 comments:

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Got to love the mini air stream trailer....the school house is sweet too.
And what a great idea doing the progessive lunch/treasure hunt!!

That's what I'm talking about - your inspiration and creativity is so "right on"... even down to the teeniest detail(s). Thanks for encouraging me to think more and more creatively. "Don't use it, you lose it"- and I don't want to let that happen.

Anna said...

That looks like such a fun night! The treasure hunt was a great idea. My kids love things like that, and I remembered that we haven't done one in awhile. I think that my favorite is the mini airstream trailer.

Wendi said...

Love the last picture of Samuel! It looks like it could have been taken at a studio.

I think my favorite was the school house. I love red and as a child my sister and I playes school often.

Looking forward to a week of organizing. Have a great weekend!

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

I like the first one best....I love country garden style things.....I would just LOVE to have one like that in my own yard!!! How fun!!! Looks like so much FUN!!!

Mom said...

What fun! My favorites were the little school house and the little airstream trailer (reminds me of my grandparents' travel trailer they called "The Dinky Caboose.") Love the photos! Love, Mom

Agnes said...

Oh I wish our town had such things, this is such a lovely idea!
Love the pirate house!

Kate said...

Hi Monica, first off I really enjoy your blog. Your creative ideas are such an inspiration. This treasure hunt looks so fun. Seeing your pictures motivates me to put more effort into my own family fun time. I know you're creating lasting memories, thanks again :)

jenny said...

What a fun night for your family! Those playhouses are precious.

Clorissa said...

I loved the Puppet Playhouse. So very sweet. Your littles are adorable. What wonderful memories you make for them!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how fun! I love the little red schoolhouse and the mini airstream trailer. They are all great.

I hope that you registered to win one and, if so, I hope you win.

Just wait until Samuel is a little older, you won't be able to drag him away from a pirate ship!

Elise said...

That is so cute, Monica!! You always think of the neatest things. Love the little red schoolhouse!!
Elise

*carrie* said...

SO much fun!

And now I see where that "barn door" pic was taken . . . =)

Love the shots of the girls together--hooray for sisters!

Anonymous said...

I loved the fishing pole idea. Your little ones must of been in heaven that night...what fun memories you're helping them make!

-Amy

Anonymous said...

too cute! (and you even make sandwiches look crafty with that twine!) :)

~katie~ said...

Isn't this just the cutest idea ever? :-) How fun for all involved!! My favorite was the little red school house. All looked like so much fun. Your treasure map and the way you wrapped everything up was darling. Thanks for sharing!

Angelia in Texas said...

What a super fun time! I loved the red school house! And that bell on top...did it really "ding" I wonder? I like how you wrapped your PBnJ's in wax paper w/twine, so much more thoughtful than baggies. I will remember that when I pack our next picnic. What a treasure to share in a unique and fun family night.
Sweet blessings, Angelia

Anonymous said...

THe pictures were great and you could tell that your crew just loved the entire event!! What a great idea! Susan

Blissful & Domestic said...

What a neat family night!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely outing. I liked the schoolhouse best. Another great idea the neat sandwiches. My grands will be visiting now that school is out.
QMM

My Blessings From Above said...

You have such fun idea Monica! I love that mini air stream trailer! Too cute!

? said...

What a Clever Mommy you are! Thanks for sharing such Wonderful ideas with us!

Jen said...

Those are the CUTEST play houses! What a great idea!

I want to know if you entered the raffle!??!? :-)

Me said...

Monica,

Your children are the most adorable littel people! What a marvelous Family Night you had. I am so impressed that you strive so to teach your children about our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ.

Me said...

Monica,

I have given you a pass-along blog award. Come by my blog to pick it up!

www.yearningforpurity.blogspot.com

Monica Wilkinson said...

No raffle for us! I hope that the cute little houses have found happy homes! :)